Registered Nurse Class A (Permanent Full Time), Emergency Department
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-35899 External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Department
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: RNCA
CLASSIFICATION: RNCA Registered Nurse Class A
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Days, Evenings, Nights, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $31.23 to $39.57 per hour
To participate in the planning and delivery of total nursing care to meet individual patient needs in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the nursing service and Emergency Health Services departments.
- Registered Nurse currently registered in the Province of New Brunswick
- High regard for confidentiality and advocacy for patients
- Minimum of 1950 hours of ER experience within the last 2 years
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of and competency in the 5 level Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale
- Displays acquisition of advanced assessment and interviewing skills
- IV Therapy/venipuncture certification
- Ability to perform 12 lead ECG monitoring and dysrhythmia interpretation
- Defibrillation certification
- Certification in Emergency Nursing, TNCC and PALS would be an asset
- Shows initiative and good judgement in emergency and crisis situations
- Ability to accept responsibility and perform in an "in charge" capacity
- Ability to communicate effectively and pleasantly with patients, families, public, staff and physicians in order to develop positive working relationships
- Demonstrates commitment to continuing education and is willing to participate in ongoing education to upgrade knowledge and skills, as is deemed necessary by candidates own current professional practice and/or Horizon Health Network.
- Willingness to adhere to departmental/corporate policies and procedures.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English is required.
- Performs CTAS Five Level triage, history and ongoing assessment of patients; initiates plan of care using the nursing process.
- Applies scientific/research based principles in administering patient focussed care.
- Communicates and consults with physicians and other members of the interdisciplinary team professionally.
- Must have a knowledge of all equipment and supplies necessary to provide complete nursing care in the Emergency Department (e.g. defibrillator, cardiac monitors, ECG machine, oxygen equipment, inhalation therapy, Point of Care equipment, suction equipment, code blue cart, infusion pumps, special trays, surgical supplies).
- Initiates and maintains Intravenous Therapy as required.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic measures as required, within scope of nursing practice.
- Assists physicians with procedures as appropriate and required.
- Assumes the responsibility of a code blue, according to policy, until the arrival of a physician, within scope of nursing practice.
- Continuously evaluates the outcome of patient care and modifies therapeutic measures and approaches accordingly.
- Maintains current record of assessment, care administered and patient's response in compliance with hospital and nursing standards.
- Collaborates with patient and family regarding plan of care.
- Assigns, collaborates with and supervises other professional and auxiliary members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Utilizes resources within the hospital and community to meet the health care and educational needs of patients and families.
- Participates in educational activities and programs for patients, staff and students and maintains knowledge of current nursing practice through internal and external educational programs.
- Assists with the orientation of new personnel.
- Serves on departmental, hospital and/or corporate committees when and as requested.
- Attends staff meetings and patient care conferences regularly.
- Complies with departmental, hospital and corporate policies and procedures.
- Communicates/explains nursing department, hospital and corporate polices to patients, families and visitors as required.
- Ensures all emergency equipment and department stock is checked as required.
- Accompanies patients on ambulance transfers as required.
- Provides a comfortable, orderly, clean and safe environment for patients and staff.
- Responsible for Quality Improvement/Risk Management activities.
- May be responsible to act as nurse in charge in the absence of the unit manager.
- Initiates emergency treatments as per protocols and/or care plans.
- Coordinates and participates in health care programs for the community, as appropriate.
- Collects and packs lab specimens and blood units.
- Other occasional duties, as required.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by December 9, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-35899-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.