Licensed Practical Nurse (Permanent Part Time), SJRH IV Therapy
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-35889 External
BARGAINING UNIT: CUPE
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: SJRH IV THerapy
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Part Time
JOB TITLE: LPN
CLASSIFICATION: Licensed Practical Nurse (3014)
LANGUAGE: English Essential with requirements to handle verbal French inquiries
HOURS OF WORK: Day; Rotating, FTE: 0.5, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $23.1388 to $24.9071 per hour
To provide collaborative nursing care under the direction of a Registered Nurse using skills and knowledge that exceeds the basic entry level requirements to perform these activities.
A case management approach is used in providing nursing care to patients receiving intravenous treatment and/or other related nursing interventions which would include inserting peripheral over the needle intravenous catheters, obtaining venous and capillary blood samples, and performing peripherally inserted catheter care and maintenance.
- High School graduation plus an additional practical nurse program / course of over one and up to two years or equivalent.
- Currently registered with the New Brunswick Association of Licensed Practical Nurses.
- NBCC Certification in Phlebotomy or equivalent.
- Current experience in initiating peripheral IVs (at least one year).
- Demonstrated knowledge, skill and competence in basic anatomy and physiology, blood and blood components, aseptic technique, and principles of Intravenous Therapy.
- Physically able to perform duties.
- Ability to set priorities, and follow verbal and written instruction without constant supervision.
- High regard for confidentiality and advocacy for patients.
- Must have good previous work and attendance record.
- Ability to communicate effectively and possess good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record
- Written and spoken competence in English and spoken competence in French are required (Intermediate Plus)
The described duties are representative, but not to be construed as all inclusive. The incumbent may perform related or allied duties as directed.
- Performs atraumatic venipuncture for the withdrawal of blood samples following applicable policy and procedure on adult and paediatric patients.
- Performs micro capillary bleeding and maintains yearly certification.
- Initiates IVs / saline locks for peripheral IV therapy.
- Accessing of PICC's for the purpose of obtaining bloods.
- Monitors intravenous sites and removes intravenous catheters when appropriate.
- Is familiar with and prepares the equipment used to administer IV solutions according to department policy.
- Assists with the assessment of the vascular needs of the patient and collaborates with the IV RN in the planning of individualized patient care.
- Assists with the practical training of professional staff in the initiation of peripheral IVs based on their clinical objectives.
- Shows others how to perform tasks or duties as part of the departmental orientation.
- Is able to assess patients for adverse reactions to the procedures performed.
- Performs uncomplicated dressing changes.
- Remove uncomplicated sutures / staples as ordered by a physician.
- Documents nursing interventions, observations, assessments, etc. as soon as completed.
- Keeps accurate record of statistics on a daily and weekly basis.
- Cleans and restocks equipment areas as required and maintains a safe work environment.
- Participates in quality assurance activities and research projects as requested.
- Recognizes unsafe practices and intervenes to prevent injury to patients and staff.
- Demonstrates proper techniques for isolation precautions.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by November 28, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time
Please quote Competition # 2018-35889-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.