Technologist, Water & Sanitary Systems
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently hiring for a Technologist to join our Infrastructure Hydraulics group, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Manager this position will be responsible for field tests, CAD and computer modelling for water and sewer projects. The position requires driving to/from site but WSP can provide all required safety and technical training .
- Plan and perform all work within applicable safety regulations and frameworks, including input to WSP's project-specific safety plans (PRASP) and implementation of safety procedures in the office and in the field (FLRA);
- Coordinate with teams including staff from within the group as well as staff from other business units and ensure communications are provided in an accurate and timely manner, in writing;
- Develop realistic test schedules and maintain these on a regular basis, providing justification to team and Client where revisions are warranted;
- Perform field tests and document same using calculation and reporting templates, as well as QA-QC processes;
- Build-up computer models of water and sewer system from as-built drawings, pump and valve information, working from examples and according to calculation and documentation templates;
- Review project deliverables as part of built-in QA-QC as well as internal and external controls (when required);
- Attend meetings and prepare and distribute agendas, meeting summaries, and meeting packages;
- Maintain communications with clients and project teams and provide/prepare responses to team/client requests;
- Maintain project folders both internal to the team as well as those shared with clients;
- Develop, track, and monitor own budget(s) as well as provide forecasts of completion on a regular basis;
- Coordinate with project accountant and project biller and provide clear instructions to ensure budgets are correctly maintained in the system and invoicing is done accurately and in a timely manner and all necessary backup documentation is provided to the client to avoid payment delays;
- Identify opportunities for environmental protection and mitigation and/or social procurement; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Diploma or Bachelor's degree in science or engineering
- Ability to achieve C.E.T. or P.Eng. designation an asset;
- Excellent ability in MS Word and MS Excel/ MS Project an asset;
- Knowledge of water and sewer systems an asset. WSP can train on computer modelling software;
- Ability to think on one's feet and safely react to field conditions, adapting to complete work;
- Ability to multitask, set priorities, and accommodate multiple requests from various sources in any given day;
- A team player who thrives on working with other successful, energetic people; and
- An calm and collected communicator, with strong verbal and written correspondence skills
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.