Licensed Practical Nurse (Permanent Full Time), CCSJ MHC REHAB
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-35597 External
BARGAINING UNIT: CUPE
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: CCSJ MHC REHAB
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: Licensed Practical Nurse
CLASSIFICATION: Licensed Practical Nurse (3014)
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Days, Evenings, Nights, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $23.1388 to $24.9071 per hour
To provide nursing care to mental health patients under the direction / supervision of the Registered Nurse and in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team.
- Graduate from an approved school for Licensed Practical Nurses
- Currently registered with the N.B. Association of Licensed practical Nurses
- Ability to function within the recognized scope of practice for an LPN.
- Ability to function within an interdisciplinary - team setting
- Demonstrates initiative, good judgment, and the ability to set priorities.
- Current CPR certification and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Good previous work and attendance record
- Physically able to perform assigned duties
- High regard for confidentiality
- Ability to communicate effectively and pleasantly with patients, families, staff, physicians and the general public
- Neat and clean in appearance
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English is required
Additional qualifications which would be considered an asset:
- Recent experience in mental health nursing, specifically with Autism Spectrum Disorder; Dual Diagnosis and Complex Behavior.
- Knowledge of / or familiar with DSM V diagnostic categories as they relate to mental illness.
- Utilizes the nursing process as an operational framework to systemically and logically assess, plan, implement, document and evaluate the care for individual patients within the recognized scope of practice for an LPN
- Ensures in collaboration with other members of the interdisciplinary team that patient care plans are complete, current and/or up to date.
- Provides hands on patient care, performing nursing procedures according to standards, hospital policy and within the LPN scope of practice.
- Fosters and encourages patient independence and decision making.
- Accompanies patients to therapies, appointments as required.
- Advocates on the patients' behalf and ensures the patients' rights and needs are met.
- Embraces the patient focused model of care.
Teamwork & Communication
- Knowledgeable regarding interdisciplinary documentation standards and charts all relevant patient information.
- Observes, reports, and documents on a daily (more frequently as needed) basis patients' conditions.
- Attends and participates in team meetings (patient care meetings).
- Ensures all pertinent patient information is shared with team members and attends change of shifts reports.
- Encourages patient and family members' involvement in the delivery of care and functions as a patient advocate when necessary.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to achieve helping relationships and practices conflict resolution techniques.
- Participates in programs promoting quality improvement on the nursing units.
- Maintains a professional demeanor at all times.
- Recognizes professional boundaries and limitations (as determined by standards and policies) regarding the delivery of patient care.
- Follows policies and procedures (within scope of practice) as they relate to the safety and well being of patients.
- Aware of risk management issues and follows incident reporting mechanisms that are in place.
- Maintains a tidy, clean and safe work environment and is conscience of patients' need for safety at all times.
- Knowledgeable regarding the hospital emergency codes.
- Utilizes non-violent crisis intervention techniques when required to subdue an aggressive patient (techniques are reviewed annually)
Education & Personal Growth
- Demonstrates initiative for personal professional development
- Attends professional development opportunities and in-services
- Consults available reference sources, journals, textbooks etc to remain knowledgeable of current LPN nursing practices.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by November 25, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-35597-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.