Sustainability and Energy Consultant
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently hiring for a Sustainability and Energy Consultant to join our Sustainability & Energy team, located at our Edmonton office.
- Delivery of best in class sustainability and high performance building services;
- Manage multiple projects to deliver a quality service on time, and on budget;
- Interact with client staff, client principals, architects, engineers, contractors, industry representatives and construction trades;
- Facilitate green building certifications (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL);
- Complete existing building energy audits
- Facilitate high performance and energy efficient building design;
- Facilitate, participate and promote an integrated design process;
- Manage the delivery of sustainability and analysis services required for the project (energy modelling, daylighting analysis, thermal comfort, envelope performance, etc.);
- Provide technical support and guidance on sustainability and energy related concepts, strategies and design, such as site related issues, stormwater management, rainwater/greywater harvesting, water use reduction, envelope thermal performance, high efficiency building system, renewable systems, waste management, material selection, thermal comfort, ventilation and indoor air quality, daylighting, health and wellness, etc.;
- Collaborate with and lead design teams to integrate and achieve high performance buildings objectives (Net Zero, Carbon Neutral);
- Provide guidance and support to clients and project teams on available energy efficiency incentive programs and compliance with building code energy efficiency requirements;
- Identify and develop sustainability and energy conservation measures including calculations to demonstrate benefits (Life cycle costing, energy and energy cost savings, incentives, emissions, ROI, etc.);
- Develop clear and concise written reports that convey technical information, understanding of the client's needs and objectives and recommendations to meet these objectives;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in Architecture, Mechanical, Electrical or Building Systems Engineering, or Building Sustainability;
- LEED AP with specialty in good standing (BD+C or O+M preferred);
- WELL AP and Passive House an asset;
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of building and building systems performance, operations, design and optimization of energy efficiency and carbon emissions;
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of renewable technologies, energy efficiency, building envelope thermal performance, mechanical and electrical building systems, energy modelling, daylighting, measurement and verification, thermal comfort, indoor air quality and life cycle cost analysis;
- Experience in energy modelling with CAN-QUEST or IES is an asset;
- Professional designation (CET, P.Tech., E.I.T, P.Eng). is desired;
- Proven experience (1-5 years) providing technical leadership and service delivery in sustainability consulting, green building certification (LEED, Green Globes, BOMA BEST, WELL), and high performance building design;
- LEED v4 experience an asset;
- Experience completing existing building energy audits (ASHRAE Energy Audit) is desired;
- Previous design, construction or project management experience on new construction or major renovation projects with important sustainability and energy efficiency objects an asset;
- Proven experience working with and managing the interaction between design teams and energy modelling teams;
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of building codes, code requirements for energy efficiency and thermal comfort, and other related standards (ASHRAE 90.1, 55 & 62, NECB, etc.);
- Thorough understanding of construction drawings and specifications;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Advanced Excel skills (complex formulas, custom scripting, VBA) a plus;
- AutoCAD, Sketchup and Revit skills an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with small teams and to maintain client relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, clients, service delivery, timelines and budgets;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Fluency, both oral and written, in English and French an asset;
- Exceptional problem solving, time management and decision-making skills;
- Self-directed and self-motivated with the ability to succeed in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Desire to learn continuously, work more effectively, and enhance technical and professional skills;
- Punctual, reliable, detailed oriented, task oriented, and organized;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.