Civil Engineer, Rail and Transit
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking Civil Engineers to join our Rail and Transit department, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Department Manager, this position will be responsible for preliminary and detail design of transit and inter-modal projects, including runningways (bus and light rail transit), roadways and boulevards, parking, drainage infrastructure, and integration of other design elements including station design, structures, landscaping, electrical/ITS systems, and active transportation features. This role may also include participation in transportation policy studies and research on emerging trends in transit.
- Execute preliminary and detailed design for transit and LRT projects, including all runningway and roadway elements, horizontal and vertical alignments, cross-sections, parking, drainage, environmental mitigation/ protection measures and associated works;
- Prepare technical memos on relevant design elements, specifications and non-standard special provisions, and study reports (e.g. Preliminary Design Report);
- Prepare contract drawings and documents for tender and construction;
- Prepare cost estimates;
- Conduct research on transit related topics and prepare study reports;
- Coordinate input from other disciplines, including managing information sharing and preparing fully integrated designs and reports;
- Attend project meetings with clients, architects and consulting disciplines;
- Prepare study schedules, meeting minutes, and presentation materials;
- Provide proposal preparation support when required;
- Provide support during construction phase, including site visits and responding to technical issues related to the design;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering;
- Licensed P.Eng. in Ontario;
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) is an asset;
- 6 - 10 years of related design experience; construction site experience would be an asset
- 3 years' experience in heavy rail working for a Class 1 North American Railroad is preferred
- Proficient with AutoCAD/Civil 3D and Microsoft Office software; experience with Microstation and InRoads as well would be an asset;
- Practical knowledge of transit and road design requirements; experience working with Metrolinx and GTHA municipalities and transit authorities and familiarity with their design procedures and standards would be a significant asset;
- Experience in writing specifications for LRT's and construction/design of LRT Rail Systems;
- Knowledge of traffic engineering or GIS software would be an asset;
- Experience in project coordination;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated report writing abilities;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team based environment to meet strict deadlines;
- Committed team player with strong organizational skills;
- Valid Ontario Driver's License.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.