Engine Room Rating
Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for Engine Room Ratings to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent, spare relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Keeping all machinery spaces and equipment clean and free of hazards to ensure a safe working environment
- Understanding the tasks to safely discharge or receive fuel, lube and dirty oils; and in handling engine room chemicals
- Performing all watchkeeping duties assigned, standing fire watches, and becoming familiar with the layout of the vessel
- Performing or assisting in all maintenance activities
- Maintaining good mechanical skills and judgment, with the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Working diligently to promote a safe working environment.
- Assisting in the accomplishment of vessel functions by performing other related duties as required
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education Certification and Experience
- High School or GED
- 4th Class Motorship OR Engine Room Rating
- Valid STCW 6.1 and 6.2 Certificates
- Transport Canada mandated Marine Medical Examination
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to lift, handle, and carry heavy objects up to 22.3 kg
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Confined Space Certification
- Work Experience as a Diesel Mechanic, Heavy Duty Mechanic, Machinist, Pipe-Fitter, Engine Fitter, or Small Diesel Repair
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic's Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
Marine Atlantic's Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do I become part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
For your application to be considered, all questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (email@example.com).