Ability Management Coordinator
Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include:
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
Marine Atlantic is currently looking for an Ability Management Coordinator to work with our Occupational Health team located in North Sydney.
Marine Atlantic's Disability Management program is intended to assist employees by facilitating early intervention into the management of an employee's absence due to injury and/or illness with the goal of returning the employee to the workplace in a safe and timely manner.
Reporting to the Occupational Health Manager, the Ability Management Coordinator will be the key contact for all employees that require extended absences for illness or injury. The Coordinator will administer all aspects of the Disability Management Program, with a focus on assisting employees in navigating the healthcare system, identifying opportunities for early intervention, and facilitating early and safe return to work programs. This role will also assist employees in liaison with external insurance providers, and be a point of contact for employees, supervisors, and managers throughout the duration of the claim.
The Coordinator will also assist Human Resources in the establishment and maintenance of an attendance management program, with a proactive focus on early identification of potential medical conditions that require frequent absences to assist with health and wellness and promote staying at work.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Focus on early intervention and assisting employees in navigating the healthcare system
- Administer all aspects of claims management, including collecting medical documentation to support claim, regular contact with employee, identifying any barriers to return to work, and medical referrals as necessary
- Supporting employees in the application for Short Term Disability benefits
- Adjudication of claims that are not eligible for Short Term Disability benefits
- For employees on Worker's Compensation Board claims (WCB), along with case management, correspond with and update WCB claims manager accordingly
- Early and Safe Return to Work (ESRTW) planning for all employees, including identifying when there is an opportunity for ESRTW, along with accommodation identification through correspondence with the manager / supervisor, human resources, and the union as necessary
- Monitoring of compliance throughout all claims, taking appropriate action when employee or supervisor is non-compliant with processes or when there is a lack of medical documentation to support claims
- Referral of those identified in the attendance management program reports without medical / health concerns to Human Resources / applicable managers for follow up
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education, Certification and Experience
Baccalaureate degree in a health related discipline, such as health sciences, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, or nursing. Disability Management Certificate / Diploma would be an asset.
Minimum 3-5 years' experience in Disability Case Management with an organization of significant size and complexity
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience in a related position.
- Current registration in good standing with appropriate professional licensing body required
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability in generating formal responses (e.g. WCB Appeals/Tribunal), as required.
- Current working knowledge of the legal requirements set out by the Human Rights Act and the Workers ' Compensation Act and associated regulations.
- Experience working with unions and labour/employee relations issues.
- Excellent conflict resolution and mediation skills
- Certified Drug & Alcohol Technician
- Experience in Substance Abuse claims management
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm Atlantic Time on 16 November 2018.
For your application to be considered, all sections and questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).