Senior Project Manager - Transportation Planning, Civil Engineering
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Project Manager to join our Transportation Planning Department, located at our Oakville office. Reporting to the department manager, this position will be responsible for leading and managing a broad range of transportation planning projects including multi-modal municipal, provincial roadway, transit preliminary design, environmental assessments, feasibility, master planning, transportation policy, and long range forecasting studies.
This is an opportunity to join an established transportation practice at a senior level, and to participate actively in the management of transportation projects at a leading multi-disciplinary firm involved in high profile, complex and innovative transportation projects, and be a part of the developing our ongoing growth strategy.
- Comprehensive management and control of all aspects of assigned projects to achieve the Client's prescribed scope, time, cost and quality objectives through the application of formal project management process, techniques, and procedures;
- Manage transportation planning and preliminary design studies, including planning, executing, and controlling the project from the proposal through to preliminary design/study completion;
- Direct and coordinate the efforts of a multi-disciplinary team (internal staff, external consultants) to achieve the Client's objectives consistent with the scope of services to be provided;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with clients, department managers, internal and external leads;
- Supervise and mentor junior staff, including assisting with staff development, providing input and recommendations related to staff needs, performance and remuneration;
- Participate in department and broader market sector strategic planning and innovation initiatives such as Future Ready, Project Management best practices, and business development strategy;
- Promote a common understanding and commitment to excellence;
- Develop and deliver proposals, project budgets, project schedules, project preliminary design and reports, and presentations;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Graduate of a University program in civil engineering, planning or related field;
- Registered Professional Engineer in Ontario or Registered Professional Planner with Ontario Professional Planning Institute;
- 15+ years of demonstrated experience preferred, minimum 10 years of experience in project management and senior engineering responsibilities in transportation planning, preliminary design, environmental assessment studies, and stakeholder consultation;
- Experience in a range of transportation planning, master planning and preliminary design studies of multi-modal transportation infrastructure including highways, roadways, transit, and active transportation is preferred;
- Excellent communication, presentation, proposal and report writing skills are essential;
- Strong leadership skills to be able to participate actively as part of the management team in a growing and diverse planning practice;
- Strong project management, negotiation, stakeholder and client customer relationship skills are essential;
- Ability to manage complex multi-disciplinary project within budget and schedule, with a demonstrated adaptable and flexible approach to meeting client needs
- Demonstrated knowledge of MTO, TAC and GTHA municipal design standards and guidelines;
- Strategic planning and analytical decision-making skills;
- Continuously seeks opportunities to learn and innovate;
- Familiarity with traffic microsimulation, graphic design, SharePoint, AutoCAD, Microstation, Bentley InRoads, and GIS software would be an asset;
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.