Senior Construction Materials Technologist
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently hiring for a Senior Construction Materials Technologist to join our Materials group , located at our Langley office.
WSP's Richmond laboratory is certified by the Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL) to Category II with fourteen additional endorsements, and is one of Western Canada's leading concrete and aggregate laboratories. This Laboratory will be moving to our Langley Facility in 2019.
We are looking for a senior construction materials technologist to be based in our soon-to-be-upgraded laboratory facility in Langley. The work will be conducted primarily in the laboratory with some field work requirements, depending on project demands. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge in testing concrete, aggregates, asphalt, and soils in accordance with CSA and ASTM Standards.
A significant portion of the work will be will be higher level testing to support our engineers in our Materials Engineering Group.
- Maintaining records, and completion of regular calibration and proficiency testing in compliance with requirements for certification with CCIL;
- Performing test programs in accordance with procedures outlined per CSA, ASTM, and US Army Corps of Engineers test standards;
- Supporting professional staff in the preparation and testing of concrete trial mixes;
- Supporting professional staff in testing programs to assess the thermal and service life properties of various construction materials;
- Conducting routine and advanced testing properties of various construction materials;
- Managing Quality Control/Assurance testing programs;
- Coordinating field and laboratory staff;
- Maintaining laboratory equipment in good working order.
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Possess a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology with a minimum of seven years of laboratory testing experience, preferably in a managerial or leadership capacity;
- Be capable of satisfactorily achieving a passing grade for a laboratory technologist for Category II laboratory certification per CSA A283 as administered by CCIL;
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Possess strong business development skills;
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software;
- Possess a Class 5 Driver's license and be able to travel to project sites, when required.
- Metallurgical materials (i.e. steel yield strength, Charpy V-notch impact, hardness, etc.) considered an asset: ?
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.