Senior Construction Materials Technologist
WSP in Langley, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently hiring for a Senior Construction Materials Technologist to join our Materials group , located at our Langley office.
WSP's Richmond laboratory is certified by the Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories (CCIL) to Category II with fourteen additional endorsements, and is one of Western Canada's leading concrete and aggregate laboratories. This Laboratory will be moving to our Langley Facility in 2019.
We are looking for a senior construction materials technologist to be based in our soon-to-be-upgraded laboratory facility in Langley. The work will be conducted primarily in the laboratory with some field work requirements, depending on project demands. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge in testing concrete, aggregates, asphalt, and soils in accordance with CSA and ASTM Standards.
A significant portion of the work will be will be higher level testing to support our engineers in our Materials Engineering Group.
- Maintaining records, and completion of regular calibration and proficiency testing in compliance with requirements for certification with CCIL;
- Performing test programs in accordance with procedures outlined per CSA, ASTM, and US Army Corps of Engineers test standards;
- Supporting professional staff in the preparation and testing of concrete trial mixes;
- Supporting professional staff in testing programs to assess the thermal and service life properties of various construction materials;
- Conducting routine and advanced testing properties of various construction materials;
- Managing Quality Control/Assurance testing programs;
- Coordinating field and laboratory staff;
- Maintaining laboratory equipment in good working order.
- Possess a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology with a minimum of seven years of laboratory testing experience, preferably in a managerial or leadership capacity;
- Be capable of satisfactorily achieving a passing grade for a laboratory technologist for Category II laboratory certification per CSA A283 as administered by CCIL;
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Possess strong business development skills;
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software;
- Possess a Class 5 Driver's license and be able to travel to project sites, when required.
- Metallurgical materials (i.e. steel yield strength, Charpy V-notch impact, hardness, etc.) considered an asset: ?
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.