Competition #: 2018-0335
Last Updated: 10/23/18 4:24 PM
Posting Type: Permanent
Union: Non Union
Posting Round: Non Teaching Internal and External
Closing Date: November 13, 2018
Location: Bridgewater Bus Garage
% Cycle: 100%
Grade Level: NA
Hours per Day: 7
Reports to: Transportation Coordinator
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post secondary education in Geographic Information Systems or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of Motor Carrier Act, National Safety Code, and applicable sections of the Education Act
- Competency in the use of database, spreadsheet, word processing software, computer based mapping applications and GPS software
- Experience implementing and maintaining computerized routing systems an asset
Abilities and Characteristics:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and persistence to complete complex technical and planning assignments
- Self starter with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent time management, data analysis, and planning abilities
- Strong understanding of map projections
- Diplomacy, tact, assertiveness and persistence
- Team player who understands the need for an efficient transportation system
- Ability to meet deadlines under stressful conditions
- Analyzes, recommends and implements bus route changes to ensure efficient and effective routing practices, for example:
- Planning, reviewing and implementing bus routes to ensure safe and efficient routes that comply with regulatory requirements.For example: seating capacity, stops/mile, site distance.
- Creating and maintaining bus routes with GIS mapping software.
- Creating and maintaining geodatabases.
- Editing and manipulating geospatial information.
- Reviewing all stops to ensure they comply with Motor Carrier Act and requests bus stop signs from the Department of Transportation as required.
- Identifying and remedying routes that have more than three stops per mile.
- Completing detailed route, catchment area, bell time and school reviews, to improve service and/or resolve specific challenges identified by the Transportation Coordinator, Drivers, Schools, General Public.
- Arranging, recruiting, creating contracts, issuing monthly forms and monitoring submissions for private conveyance of students with special needs
- Monitoring and recommending school boundaries as related to Transportation Services.
- Develops and maintains an accurate and up-to-date transportation database: For example:
- Maintaining a transportation database that analyzes student locations, stops per mile, loading capacities and bus routing alternatives.
- Ensuring each bus driver has access to his/her bus route.
- Assisting the Transportation Coordinator with driver Time and Mileage calculations.
- Adding and updating student information, deleting graduated students, recording changes in meterage and stop locations.
- Tracking and recording routing and load changes as they occur through the year.
- Administer computerized transportation software, ensuring data integrity
- Attend bus driver inservices. Present, train and instruct drivers as requested
- Assists with monitoring weather conditions.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Apply online at www.ssrce.ca