Geotechnical and Materials Testing Technician
WSP in Ottawa, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently looking for a Geotechnical and Materials Testing Technician to join our team in Ottawa. The position will be responsible for working with a team of specialists to conduct geotechnical investigations and testing throughout the National Capital Region for our clients.
- Provide technical services in a field and office (lab) environment;
- Supervise and/or carry out site geotechnical inspections of construction work and materials testing;
- Conduct in site testing of various materials on construction sites, compaction testing and testing of concrete and asphalt;
- Participate in a team environment and strong communicator;
- Strong workplace health and safety practices;
- Concrete, soil and asphalt compaction testing in the field, proctor and gradation testing in the lab and any other task that can be assigned by the manager;
- Supervise geotechnical drilling works;
- Work with and provide support to other members of the field technician group in assisting with other field and office activities as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Civil Engineering diploma, preferably with a focus on Geotechnical Engineering
- CCIL and CSA Certifications an asset;
- 3-8 years field experience of soil and asphalt compaction, concrete testing, subgrade evaluation;
- Previous experience working as a geotechnical technician / lab testing technician
- Knowledge of drilling procedures is an asset;
- Must own a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and hold a Valid (G-Level) Ontario Driver's License;
- Must be mobile and willing to work on a combination of field and office work, as travel will be required;
- Excellent computer skills, proficiency with common industry software is required;
- Flexible, well organized, interested in technical and personal advancement, able to carry out assignments with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, strong report writing skills and verbal communication in English are essential;
- Bilingualism (English-French) is an asset;
- You demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate effectively and to proactively respond to time-sensitive issues.
WSP Canada Inc.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.