Marine Atlantic is a federal Crown corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
We are dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
Marine Atlantic is currently accepting applications for a Marine Superintendent to work with our Operations Department located in our North Sydney, NS location.
The Marine Superintendent, working under the direction of the Director of Fleet Operations, provides functional support to vessel Masters and Chief Officers. Having a strong understanding of ISM, the Marine Superintendent may be required to act as the Designated Person Ashore as laid out in the International Safety Management Code. The incumbent will work with vessel Masters to ensure that operations are carried out in accordance with Company policy, government regulations, prescribed budgets, and shipboard management concepts. The Marine Superintendent functions as senior consultant to shipboard management personnel providing the quality management advice necessary to solve key problems and operate efficiently and effectively.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work to develop and reinforce a safety culture on all Marine Atlantic vessels as well as other divisions of the Operations Department.
- Play a role in planning and developing refit specifications and scheduled dockside maintenance programs.
- Required to be on call 24 hours a day and act as a resource to Masters during emergency situations.
- Review shipboard meeting reports; liaise with the vessel team on actions and closure.
- Participate and support in effective planning of vessel inspections, new equipment procedures and repairs.
- Review Master end of shift report and notes for any Operations related matters and ensure close dialogue with different departments on follow up actions and closure.
- Support and provide input to the Company Emergency Response Team during maritime emergencies.
- Be prepared to lead, coordinate, or participate in inspections; audits; incident investigation; as required.
- Keep updated on new and retroactive laws and regulations affecting marine operations and keep abreast with best industry practices.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education, Certification and Experience
A minimum, Master Near Coastal Certificate or equivalent. A Master Mariner Certificate would be an asset.
Minimum 5 years' experience sailing in a Senior Officer role
- Strong understanding of ISM
- Strong understanding of Canadian Flag requirements and regulations, classification society rules and regulations and the Delegated Statutory Inspection Program
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Customer Service Oriented
- Comfortable using Microsoft Applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Power point, and Project
- Experience working with passenger vessels
- Experience in dry-docking and vessel inspections
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
For your application to be considered, all questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).