Archaeological Field Technician
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently hiring Archaeological Field Technicians to join our Environment group, and to be located in Ottawa. Working closely with the Field Director and other archaeologists in the Ottawa region, you will be responsible for archaeological surveys for our clients. We will be undergoing stage 2 through 4.
We are hiring for 6 positions - the expected start date for this role is Feb 2019.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
About the WSP Ottawa Archaeology team:
We have been growing and expanding for the past few years, with dozens of projects completed and many new ones starting. We have experienced archaeological and cultural heritage professionals in Ottawa who are playing an important role in some of Canada's most culturally significant projects. We're looking for passionate, dedicated technicians who are great teammates and who want to contribute to Canada's fastest growing archaeological team of experts.
- Are you a recent graduate, current student, or an experienced field technician searching for a unique opportunity to continuet to hone your expertise in archaeology?
- Do you love history and learning about the cultural past of a place, and its people?
- Could you talk about archaeology and history for hours on end, and never tire of the new things to learn and discover about Canada's past?
- Participate in exciting and interesting archaeological survey projects and laboratory tasks;
- Utilize your passion for archaeology to contribute to WSP's exploration initiatives;
- Explore diverse terrains to complete in-depth assessments used for informative purposes;
- Dig and excavate units in a structured manner in order to uncover valuable artifacts;
- Identify and document items of value;
- Assist with public archaeology events;
- Provide your input and knowledge to a range of sites, including private development and work for all levels of government;
- Establish strong relationships with long-term colleagues who will guide you to success;
- Participate safely in a team environment; and
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Your post-Secondary education completed or in progress with course work related to archaeology and/or history;
- You'll ideally have at least four months of archaeological field experience (or the successful completion of a recognized archaeological field school);
- You'll be a safety champion - not willing to compromise on keeping yourself and your team safe in various conditions;
- You are able to perform physical activities related to the surveys, in all types of weather conditions (including snowy and cold weather);
- You have a sense of adventure and don't mind being away from home, staying in hotels close to project sites as needed;
- You are passionate about archaeology, and have some base knowledge of pre-contact and post-contact resources and artefacts;
- You've got some experience with artifact analyses ad you also have knowledge of Ontario's cultural history;
- You have had experience with report writing, GIS or ArcGIS ;
- Your Ontario driver's license is up-to-date and you have a clean abstract;
- You enjoy working in team, and communicate well with others.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.