Project Controls Lead
CALGARY OR EDMONTON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every single day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Controls Lead, located in our Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta office in a permanent full-time role. This position will report into the Manager, Project Controls.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a passionate engineer interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence, guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
About the WSP Calgary office:
Located in the heart of Calgary's downtown, the Calgary office offers employees walking access to a myriad of amenities, transit routes and bicycle networks. Conveniently located within the Skyway +15 network, employees are neighbouring the CORE Shopping Centre, Stephen Avenue and Prince's Island Park. The building is a LEED certified space with mountain views, natural light, and an on-site cafeteria common space.
What you can expect:
- Lead a team of Project Controls Analysts and Coordinators to define the baselines, measure variances, create bottom-up and top-down estimates, and develop action plans. The data includes information about financial, scope, risk, performance, and quality.
- Define processes and templates to organize project information (financial, scope, risk, performance, quality) and analyze for regular reports and audits;
- Generate regular reports to show early warnings on financial and risk management to Project Controls Manager;
- Ensure that the managers follow the defined processes for changes, and ensure they are properly estimated and agreed prior to implementation;
- Communicate the reports and actions in a clear, concise, and tactful manner to Project Managers, clients, peers and other team members;
- Collaboratively work with all internal and external partners to ensure the project reporting expectations are clearly defined and understood. Internal partners include professional engineers from various disciplines (civil, mechanical, electrical, structural, surveying), technical services (CADD, print shop, IT), and management services (accounting, human resources, senior management);
- Perform operational and financial analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and econometric analysis;
- Lead program and project document management system and retrieval of project documentation communicated between related teams;
- Monitor project plan progress for cost and schedule reporting, change control and analyzing areas with deviations from the project plan;
- Monitor weekly performance and issue logs; recommend corrective actions to the Project Controls Manager;
- Help prepare project plans including work breakdown structures, scheduling, cost plan, quality plan, change management plan, communications plan, risk plan, procurement plan and resource plan;
- Work to tight schedules, be flexible, and travel on short notice.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited University;
- PMP certification is favourable;
- Senior level of post-degree experience in the rail industry;
- Intermediate experience in a Consulting Engineering environment;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Direct leadership experience with complex issues and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management;
- Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
- Integrity, professionalism, excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required to handle both internal and external communications with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work in teams and generate a spirit of cooperation while coordinating diverse activities and groups; people management and negotiating skills within a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio.
- Possess good organizational, administrative, interpersonal, verbal communication, and writing skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.