Senior Geotechnical Engineer
WSP in Multiple Locations
Langley, BC | Vancouver, BC
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently hiring for forward-thinking geotechnical engineering leaders to join our Vancouver and Langley offices. WSP has experienced unparalleled growth over the past several decades. With humble beginnings in Quebec, and a promising future as a respected design consultancy in the world. We want innovators, leaders, creative thinkers, and hardworking change-makers.
You will play a critical role in further developing our business, our brand, and our clients. You will collaborate across the regional teams as well as nationally and abroad to continue to establish us provider of innovative geotechnical solutions for current and future challenges. This role will challenge, excite, and inspire future geotechnical engineers who will shape the future of the Canadian landscape.
We're seeking a leader, of people, of projects and of the future. Through technical leadership, client relationships and project innovation, you will lead geotechnical in Canada for the future.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a geotechnical authority who enjoys technically complex projects where you can flex your creative engineering mind?
- Do you enjoy interacting with clients and building new opportunities for growth and expansion?
- Do you love geotechnical engineering and enjoy engaging in technical conversations with peers?
About the WSP Vancouver & Langley offices:
Our newly renovated space offers you sun-filled open concept offices located in downtown Vancouver with quick access to transit (Skytrain, buses) and underground parking. Our large space in Langley is conveniently located near Highway 1, offers free parking and includes our geotechnical and materials laboratory. Both offices include sunlit, spacious cafés for staff to enjoy coffee, lunch, play games, watch TV and mingle. In Vancouver, shops, restaurants, cafes, and gyms are in the office building or less than 100 m from the office. In Langley, eateries, shops, and grocery stores are within a few blocks from the office. The Vancouver building also features shower facilities and covered bike racks, allowing you to incorporate fitness in your routine.
What you can expect:
- You'll be responsible for maintaining a strong technical involvement in projects and proposals;
- You will be establishing standard methodologies within the discipline and improving our methods;
- Technically supporting, training and guiding the geotechnical teams across the Lower Mainland and BC;
- Communicating between the two main geotechnical offices in the Lower Mainland and the wider WSP geotechnical community with over 375 staff across Canada;
- Actively working with up-and-coming talent in the market by building and cultivating strong pools of future geotechnical talent;
- Engaging with the talent pipelines and promote WSP;
- Building strong relationships with leaders of the geotechnical and other WSP business lines, including finding opportunities for partnership;
- Developing and maintaining personal involvement with clients - understanding their needs, trends and opportunities;
- Positioning WSP as a key advisor and consultant for our clients, and a true business partner;
- Representing WSP in the community to raise local brand awareness;
- Other duties as required or assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Your ten to fifteen years of experience in geotechnical or geological engineering make you a confident leader technically, and interpersonally.
- You will have experience across two or more of the following sectors: transportation (rail, highways, airports etc.), industrial, municipal, renewable energy, infrastructure (development), and non-oil sands mining.
- You have extensive experience working in British Columbia, managing all aspects of geotechnical investigations and carrying out geotechnical analysis and field reviews for buildings, highways, bridges, retaining walls, slope stability and municipal infrastructure, through the project life cycle from early conceptual studies to construction.
- You will have extensive experience in seismic design and seismic requirements of the BC Building Code.
- Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Knowledge of materials engineering and testing is considered a strong asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong written and verbal communication.
- Reciprocal mindset and curiosity for pushing boundaries in thinking and acting.
- Customer-service focused with clients, able to build long-term partnerships with clients.
- Committed to exceptional service quality and safety performance.
- You'll be able to travel within British Columbia.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.