Senior Project Manager, Rail Systems
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every single day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a two Senior Project Engineers to join the Rail Systems team, located in our Calgary, Alberta office in a permanent full-time role. This position will report into the Manager, Rail Systems Engineering.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a passionate engineer interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence and guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
About the WSP Calgary office:
Located in the heart of Calgary's downtown, the Calgary office offers employees walking access to a myriad of amenities, transit routes and bicycle networks. Conveniently located within the Skyway +15 network, employees are neighbouring the CORE Shopping Centre, Stephen Avenue and Prince's Island Park. The building is a LEED certified space with mountain views, natural light, and an on-site cafeteria common space.
What you can expect:
- Leading project execution in rail with a team of Chief Engineers and Specialists across various rail systems disciplines (Civil, Geotechnical, Systems Engineering, Signals, Electrification Systems, Data Communications, and Project Controls), Systems Engineers, Analysts, and Coordinators;
- Managing project scope, budget, schedule, risk, and quality to ensure overall success, while also providing technical leadership to ensure all deliverables are produced to meet client expectations;
- Liaising with the client to define and refine the precise expectations to ensure all partners are on the same page;
- Ensuring all changes are properly estimated and agreed prior to implementation;
- Reviewing and approving calculations, drawings, technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, cost estimates, detailed analyses, design justifications, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail;
- Collaboratively work with all internal and external partners to ensure all expectations are clearly defined and understood.
- Supporting business development and proposal effort from market research & analysis, through RQQ, RFP, proposal submission, to Project Charter creation;
- Managing communications with client, team, subcontractors, and sub-consultants in a professional manner;
- Facilitate resolution of customer relationship versus technical issues and expectations;
- Sealing design packages using the Professional Engineer stamp, in a professional and ethical manner;
- Work to tight schedules, be flexible, motivate junior staff, and travel on short notice;
- Travel internationally to support proposals, projects, Client's needs, and work in multiple office locations on a weekly basis.
What you bring to WSP:
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline from an accredited University that is recognized by the provincial engineering association;
- Registered Professional Engineer with either P.Eng. or P.E. License is favourable;
- Proven capability in the rail market to lead delivery of complex projects with strong technical competence and commercial management;
- PMP certification is favourable;
- Senior experience in a leadership role;
- Intermediate experience in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent;
- International Rail & Transit experience required;
- Experience in a Consulting Engineering environment;
- Must be a good team player and decision maker with the ability to get buy-in from all partners;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent presentation and report writing skills;
- Proven leadership and mentoring experience to develop technical skills;
- Understanding of Systems Engineering Concepts to extract technical, project, and functional requirements from tender documents, and create system and subsystem level requirements;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio;
- Experience in all Phases of the Engineering Design Life Cycle (Proposal, CDR, PDR, FDR) and/or System Testing and Integration Life Cycle (test plan, test case, FAT, SAT, Reliability and Availability);
- Experience in project level risk identification and management;
- Understanding of the System Safety Certification processes.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.