Pharmacy Technician (Casual), HCSU
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-35247 External
BARGAINING UNIT: CUPE
ZONE: Saint John
FACILITY: Sussex Health Centre
POSTING TYPE: Casual
JOB TITLE: Pharmacy Technician
CLASSIFICATION: Pharmacy Technician (Certified) (1061)
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: CASUAL, Rotating Days, Evenings, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $21.4759 to $23.1168 per hour (Subject to Employment Status may be paid at 90% of the indicated rate as per CUPE collective agreement article 6.08 a)
Responsible to interact with patients to gather medication related information and provide instruction, checking the accuracy of medication preparation by others, supervising Pharmacy Technician students and acquiring, preparing and distributing medications and pharmaceutical products.
- Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the New Brunswick College of Pharmacist and licensed to practice in New Brunswick.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English is required
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for:
- Checking medication prepared by other Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacy Assistants and Pharmacy Assistant - Delegated Checkers
- Meeting with patients and gather medication related information to create best possible medication history.
- Assisting Pharmacists in the implementation and monitoring of the patient medication care plan
- Providing instruction to patients on medication related tools and devices.
- Precepting Pharmacy Technician students and provide orientation to Pharmacy students.
- Preparing and labeling sterile products such as total parenteral nutrition, chemotherapy agents, intravenous admixtures and other sterile products that require specialized techniques.
- Preparing, labeling and distributing pharmaceutical products
- Ordering and receiving pharmaceuticals including maintaining inventories
- Ensures accuracy of medication preparation by other Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacy Assistants and Pharmacy Assistant - Delegated Checkers through checking patient name (if applicable), drug product, strength, form, expiration date, storage information, quantity and other information.
Pharmacy Technician Duties
- Meet with patients and gather medication related information to create best possible medication history.
- Assists Pharmacists in the implementation and monitoring of the patient medication care plan
- Provide instruction to patients on medication related tools and devices.
- Precept Pharmacy Technician students and provide orientation to Pharmacy students.
- Prepares and labels sterile products such as total parenteral nutrition, chemotherapy agents, intravenous admixtures and other sterile products that require specialized techniques.
- Assists Pharmacists in recording and updating medication orders on the computerized patient profiles.
- Prepares and labels pharmaceutical products.
- Maintains stocks of pharmaceuticals by:
- restocking and checking emergency drug supplies;
- filling medication exchange carts according to computerized fill list;
- replenishing pharmaceuticals for dispensary stock;
- controlling and maintaining pharmaceutical inventory;
- maintaining the pharmacy night cabinet;
- maintaining the nursing unit stock exchange system.
- Records medication discrepancies including narcotics and controlled drugs.
- Prepackages drugs for dispensing, including tablets, capsules, liquids, topical treatments.
- Checks pharmaceuticals for expiry dates; returns and/or destroys expired medications and narcotics.
- Prepares bulk solutions and other compounds.
- Updates drug formulary.
- Responds to inquiries and telephone calls.
- Delivers medications including narcotics and controlled drugs to patient care areas and maintains records
- Participates in physical inventory counts.
Ordering and Receiving Duties
- Orders pharmaceutical products from suppliers.
- Verifies that received products match the purchase order and packing slips.
- Inspects supplies and verifies expiry dates.
- Stores pharmaceutical supplies as per manufacturers' recommendations.
- Performs general office duties such as keyboarding, photocopying.
- Prepares workload measurements; records and maintains operational reports.
- Compiles and enters statistics such as total parenteral nutrition, chemotherapy.
- Orders and stores intravenous solutions and general supplies.
- Shows others how to perform tasks or duties as part of the departmental orientation.
- Maintains a clean and safe work area.
Competencies identified by the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA) 2014:
- Ethical, Legal and Professional Responsibilities
- Patient Care
- Product Distribution
- Practice Setting
- Health Promotion
- Knowledge and Research Application
- Communication and Education
- Intra and Inter-Professional Collaboration
Quality and Safety Competencies identified by Horizon Health Network:
- Attention to Detail
- Planning and Prioritizing Work
- Interpersonal Skills
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Patient/Client Orientation
- Quality and safety
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by October 31, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-35247-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.