Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
We are currently looking for two Safety Officers to work with our Health, Safety and Environment Department. One officer will work from our Port aux Basques, NL location and the other will work from our North Sydney, NS location.
The Health, Safety and Environment Department is responsible for the development and promotion of health, safety and environmental protection programs throughout the company, both on vessels and at our shore facilities. This department renders high-level advice, guidance and information concerning health, safety, and environmental protection issues to managers, supervisors, safety committees and employees.
Reporting to the Manager of Health and Safety, the Safety Officer provides functional support to Marine Atlantic vessel and terminal employees. The position works to enhance, reinforce and continually improve the safety culture throughout the organization by ensuring internal policies and external requirements for environmental protection and safe operation of vessels and terminals are met or exceeded.
The Safety Officer also supports the initiatives of the Safety Management Committee and the OHS Policy Committee and conducts independent inspections, internal audits and reviews and follows up on outstanding issues and/or corrective actions with the applicable Supervisor, Manager, Master and/or OSH Workplace Committee.
The Safety Officer will ensure expert knowledge and skills are offered to the organization by the Health Safety and Environment Department in order to generate and promote a positive health and safety culture.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work diligently, to promote a safe working environment.
- Take a leadership role in the development and delivery of corporate safety programs; Support initiatives to prevent incidents and non-conformances;
- Maintain a current, high level of awareness and professional understanding of all Health, Safety and Environmental internal policies, external regulations and industry trends;
- Provide professional health, safety and environment advice and direction to management, staff and senior personnel; Ensure all managers and employees are familiar with their roles and responsibilities around health, safety and environment;
- Responsible for the Safety Management Information System including all reporting, processes, assigning authorities, improvements and training;
- Provide safety support to client group or other safety officer client groups as required. Support includes inspections, audits, training and promotion of safety department initiatives;
- Oversee the tool box meeting process and ensure relevant material is distributed in a timely manner;
- Provide direction and assistance to operating divisions in the development of Safe Work Practices, Job Safety Analysis, Pre-job Hazard Assessment Process. Address unsafe work practices immediately with little direction;
- Initiate and oversee investigation of incidents, conduct root-cause analysis, and prepare reports related to employee injuries and property damage. Make recommendations on corrective actions and follow-up to ensure corrective actions are implemented;
- Coordinate and conduct inspections, assessments and audits to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and company policy, including the activities of sub-contractors;
- Work closely with Officers, Managers and Supervisors to ensure safety committee meetings are held, minutes are reviewed and corrective actions are completed in a timely manner;
- Oversee the internal responsibility system to ensure it is
- functioning at a high level;
- Support the Disability Management Program and Public
- Safety and Environmental initiatives across the Corporation;
- Assist in developing KPI's relating to Health, Safety and Environment for other Marine Atlantic departments;
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education, Certification and Experience
A diploma or degree in OH&S preferably with minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, preferably in a marine environment, with a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) Designation (or working towards CRSP Designation).
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience in a related position.
- Thorough understanding of Health Safety and Environmental regulatory requirements.
- Experience conducting external and internal regulatory audits.
- Knowledge and experience working with computer based Health Safety and Environment management systems
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Demonstrated initiative to update education and knowledge of current Health, Safety and Environmental developments, trends, legislation or programs (i.e. working towards diploma or degree in OH&S, review of gazettes, management texts, periodicals, etc.)
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm Atlantic Time on 25 October 2018.
For your application to be considered, all sections and questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org).