Engineer Unix Systems
Sobeys Inc. in Stellarton, NS
Requisition ID: 46639
Career Group: Corporate Careers
Job Category: Information Technology
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: Foord St. Office
Postal Code: B0k 1S0
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better. .
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We currently have a full-time opportunity for a Unix Systems Engineer to join our Technology department based out of our office in Stellarton, NS.
What you'll get to do in this fast-paced role:
- Administer virtualized environments
- Develop and Deploy automation tools to aid in system management activities
- Install Operating System software, upgrades, maintenance fixes/patches, and third party software applications (i.e. TSM, Tivoli monitoring) following Sobeys standards
- Participate in a rotational 24-hour on-call support for all AIX/LINUX production systems and supporting infrastructure
- Perform data gathering, debugging, root cause analysis, and resolution for problems with software systems and programs
- Participate in all hardware installations (IBM)
- Perform firmware upgrades when necessary
- Support and work with technicians to correct any hardware problems that may arise
- Provide technical expertise on projects of medium to high complexity
- Participate in all areas of analysis, quality assurance, and performance tuning with the project team
- Analyze applications that have response and throughput problems
- Provide storage management for both data placement and performance considerations on all platforms
- Develop and maintain Technical Recovery Plans for systems, databases and applications
- Participate in Disaster Recovery exercises to validate documented procedures
What your resume will include and demonstrate to us:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, or a Business degree with IT major
- Minimum of 2 years in a UNIX systems administration role
- Familiarity with database software deployed in a large environment
- Quality assurance principals and practices
- Systems administration processes
- Hardware experience (IBM Power Systems)
- Network experience (Virtual Networking in an IBM PowerVM environment)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.