WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Highway Designer to join our Highways Department, located at our Ottawa office. Working with the Highways Manager this position will be responsible for the delivery of multi-discipline highway design projects (from rural highways to freeway type facilities)
- You will prepare technical analysis and design; including cost estimating, quantity calculations, etc.
- As part of the team you will draft and review detailed design drawings and presentation materials of highways, urban roads, interchanges and intersections ;
- Prepare and run contract specifications and documentation;
- Work alongside all disciplines team members, sub-consultants, clients and agencies
- We have a lot of creative and significant projects on the go at the moment, if you're looking for a rewarding career - look no further!
- Post-secondary education with an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, or a Civil Engineering Technologist program from an accredited college
- 8 to 15+ years' experience in the transportation design engineering field
- Professional licensing with PEO or an OACETT membership would be an asset
- Experience with highway / freeway design (e.g. alignments, geometrics, staging, utilities, roadside safety, quantity calculation, contract documents, constructability);
- Previous experience with preparing detail design drawings
- Proven experience with developing complex construction staging strategies for highway/bridge rehabilitation projects is an asset;
- Knowledge of various software packages (i.e. Microstation / InRoads, AutoCAD / Civil 3D, Microsoft Office);
- Experience with technical writing, minute preparation, etc
- Ability to handle multiple projects and effectively prioritize
- Ability to estimate design level of effort
- General understanding of traffic engineering principles
- Understanding of other road design requirements (e.g. drainage / hydraulic design, environmental design / mitigation measure, engineering surveys, geotechnical investigations and design)
- QA / QC as well as Environmental Health and Safety practices / requirements
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team based environment and provide guidance/mentoring to junior design staff
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon those being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include working in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equality.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.