Project Controls Specialist
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently hiring for a Project Controls Specialist to join our Project Management Office, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Director, Project Delivery this position will be responsible for project controls functions to support the management of various projects .
- Develop project/program enterprise structures, i.e.: Work Breakdown Structures, and Cost Breakdown Structures
- Prepare, update, and maintain integrated project schedules for engineering/design, procurement, construction, and commissioning/closeout
- Monitor, control and report on the progress of the work in comparison with the baseline budget and schedule and report on any deviation
- Prepare recommendations for remedial action where deviations occur, include trends in the forecast, or develop a mitigation program or corrective measures.
- Prepare, update, and maintain cash flow, and earned value analyses
- Liaise with project teams to ensure the correct utilization of the project control system based on project specific requirements and corporate guidelines
- Seek Project Manager's approval for changes to baseline estimates and new forecasted dates/performance;
- Responsible for Change Management, reporting of all project exposures pending, approved and rejected;
- Take ownership of the planning and cost control functions and ensure integrity of the data being processed
- Interface with project team to develop project forecasts and analyze project schedule and costs for Earned Value (EV)
- Participate in cost and schedule risk assessment
- Liaise with clients to clarify cost related issues and develop timely and accurate monthly invoices and for reporting purposes.
- Participates in the management of sub-consultants including generating subconsultant agreements, invoice management, and change control management.
- Prepare cost reports to ensure original commitments, cost to date and cost to complete and any variances are accurately reported on a timely basis
- Prepare financial reconciliation reports
- Prepare project invoices in conjunction with the Accounting Department prior to issuance for proper allocation of revenues
- Implement financial controls including controlling authorizations of expenditure and cash flow projections
- Track and coordinate the progress of the project on a day-to-day basis from a cost and schedule perspective to ensure that the project is on-track
- Perform thorough QA/QC on all deliverables
- Support the business development teams in responding to RFQ, RFP and bid development process by providing input in the schedule and fee development;
- Implementation of project controls procedures and continuous improvement measures
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering, construction management, accounting or finance, Business Management or related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience required.
- PMP or PMI-SP certification, knowledge of PMBOK or Project Management education an asset
- Requires solid understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
- Has a solid working knowledge of Primavera software (P6)
- Full understanding of project life cycle and engineering and construction projects
- Checks the work of others for accuracy and completeness and monitors project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting to provide creative, strategic and critical solutions.
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change
- Ability to multi-task, work on several projects or tasks at once, manage time, organize, and set priorities
- Strong organizational skills and interpersonal skills as the role requires continuous interaction with team members
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal, including report writing, editing, and proofreading abilities
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.