Project Controls Manager
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Controls Manager, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Transportation National Business Line, this position will be responsible for project controls functions to support alternative delivery Highway & Bridges pursuits and projects.
- Apply advanced expertise and experience in the overall project/business Project Control processes;
- May oversee team made up of cost control, document control and scheduling professionals;
- Interfaces with technical, finance, accounting, and legal professionals;
- Support the business development teams in RFQ, RFP and bid development process by providing input in the schedule and fee development;
- Support the Project Management team in project execution in the development of control budgets and project timelines (from roadmaps to detailed contractor input);
- Identify deliverables, assign budgets and check / controls points to those deliverables. Provide progress information against check points, calculate earned hours and progress (percent complete);
- Use of Earned Value methods for forecasting for project costs to determine EAC. Implement methods of effective progress measurement based on size and complexity of projects;
- Timely identification, notification, resolution, and recording of deviations from agreed / baseline plan (scope, man-hours, cost and schedule) including trending on items that have potential for future impact within project scope;
- Provide analysis and complete estimates to corporate / senior management, project management, and client for action planning;
- Seeks Project Manager approval for changes to baseline / estimates and new forecasted dates / performance;
- Responsible for Change Management, reporting of all project exposures pending, approved and rejected;
- Ensure capture of all possible cost categories and changes to quantity, man-hours, unit price, cost, third party cost requirements, delays, and schedule impacts;
- Responsible to ensure timely submissions for technical and project management deliverables are issued as scheduled;
- Participates in identifying and evaluating project risks to enable highest level assessment of company exposure; take pre-emptive actions as agreed to mitigate identified and targeted risks.Follows up on the evolution of risks and continued exposure to Corporate;
- Provide information to the client, project team, and corporate management for enterprise, and portfolio reporting. Reports and offers updates of actual man-hours and invoiced, incurred, physical progress, forecast to complete, key and / or critical issues, and scheduled achievements relative to the status of the project;
- Reviews project invoices and interfaces with the Project Accounting / Billing teams and organizes corrections for correct collection of revenues;
- Negotiate and ensure contractual obligations are being met; win-win solutions are the goal for all client relations;
- Ensure sufficient project cost, planning & scheduling resources and document control resources are in place to execute the project;
- Capable of operating with high degree of latitude, exercising independent judgement within corporate framework;
- Supports Project Manager to manage client expectations and coach others to develop and maintain effective relationships with clients;
- Implementation of project controls procedures and promotes leadership in continuous improvement by offering ways to improve existing systems and,
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree desirable (engineering / technical, project management, finance or business preferred);
- 10+ years' relevant work experience;
- Expert experience and abilities in the overall project/business Project Control processes;
- Experience in major Highway & Bridges projects, preferably in AFP environment considered an asset;
- Understand the evolution of complex engineering/construction projects;
- PMP certification, knowledge of PMBOK or Project Management education an asset;
- Ability to manage a high performing team;
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Ability to multi-task, work on several projects or tasks at once, manage time, organize, and set priorities;
- Strong organizational skills and interpersonal skills as the role requires continuous interaction with team members;
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal, including report writing, editing, and proofreading abilities.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.