Director Building Structures
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
Reporting directly to the National Service Line Vice President (NSLVP), the Director - Structures , Saskatchewan will be responsible for and actively involved in the leadership and management of the regional business and in winning and delivering Building Structures projects in the Saskatchewan Region. The Director maintains WSP's position as a leading services provider through promoting the vision and culture of the firm and in executing the strategy and meeting the objectives of the Service Line. The successful candidate is recognized as a motivating leader with a proven ability to build and manage a top-performing team, mentor management, achieve operational and profitability targets, have a genuine commitment to the firm`s values, and manage client relationships.
This is therefore a unique opportunity to grow an existing business as part of our strategic plan that already offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience, through your valuable experience building a discipline across a province/territory and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector. You will have significant demonstrable experience optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business, developing plans, programs and organizational objectives to enhance margins, workforce utilization, and cash generation enabling the growth of the business and ensuring client satisfaction.
- Develop the annual regional budget and business strategy, in alignment with Building Structures and WSP budgets and strategies;
- Oversee the setting of regional and staff objectives as well as the creation and implementation of local action plans, all in support of achieving goals related to: budgets, standards of financial performance, quality, safety, and culture;
- Ensure the region meets set financial targets including: Net Revenue, Operating Margin and DSO;
- Monitor, measure, and report on regional results, opportunities, business development plans, challenges and achievements;
- Provide operational expertise and oversight within the region to team leads and other Managers;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other Structures managers and senior leadership, representing Saskatchewan's needs and identifying opportunities to resource share and collaborate to improve overall Structures efficiency;
- Work with WSP's various Support Services groups (IT, HR, Finance, Safety, Quality) acting as the key liaison for the region. Be a change leader, taking responsibility to understand the various national programs and practices which are being rolled out and providing support and training to staff in order to implement these locally;
- Maintain a high degree of personal involvement with major clients. Proactively seek to understand evolving client needs, local and industry trends and upcoming project opportunities in Saskatchewan. Anticipate and plan for maximizing business growth opportunities;
- Manage proposals and contractual agreements originating within the region, liaise with Buildings Business Development staff to create local business development plans;
- Understand the short and long-term workforce requirements for the region. This includes identifying future skill sets required and any gaps, utilizing WSP programs to proactively build a strong talent pool; ensuring that a succession plan is in place for key positions;
- Lead local safety and quality efforts ensuring staff are current on evolving programs and practices; ensure improvement action plans are created and implemented in response to audit results;
- Act as a spokesperson for WSP within the community and encourage staff to do the same. Participate in industry associations and proactively work to raise local WSP brand awareness.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere where people want to work and encourage all employees to "be the best they can be."
- Enterprise Resource Planning systems (ERP) including integrated financial/accounting, procurement, payroll and human resources systems;
- Optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business;
- Project management software applications;
- Project accounting and resource allocation techniques;
- Project risk management and mitigation techniques;
- Quality management systems; and
- Change Management.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years in engineering consulting, delivering technical and complex projects, with at least 10 years' experience leading multidisciplinary group
- Think critically and use facts and data in identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions and generating a range of alternative solutions and courses of action;
- Results oriented; decision maker; pro-active leader;
- Reputation for spearheading innovative ideas and implementing standards, policies and procedures across a series of teams or groups;
- Team player; Proven ability to impact and influence others; able to influence people to achieve desired objectives;
- Demonstrated capabilities in engaging a wider audience to adapt new ways of working;
- Able to work well under pressure and be able to meet deadlines; Able to prioritize work and multi-task,
- Pro-active, diligent and efficient in the execution of responsibilities; able to work on own initiative;
- Tactful when dealing with confidential and sensitive information;
- Strong verbal and written communicator
- Attentive to detail; focused and passionate about efficiency and effectiveness.
- Set expectation and performance standards and drive project performance to meet milestones, deadlines, and quality objectives;
- Facilitate constructive and productive group interaction and maintain group commitment to goals and objectives;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships in cross- functional teams;
- Focus on customer needs and expectation of customers in making business recommendations and solving business problems;
- Handle multiple competing priorities and schedules;
- Contribute to the coaching, mentoring and development of resources;
- Develop Regional Performance Measurement baselines; and
- Adapt and comfortable interacting and communicating effectively in writing and verbally to NSLVP levels of the organization.
- Exceptional project management skills including the ability to effectively deploy resources and manage multiple projects of various diverse scope in a cross-functional environment;
- A strategic thinker with ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to communicate with customers, associates and management;
- Ability to lead dynamically and energize multidiscipline work teams to learn and apply new skills and techniques to respond to business needs;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of business principles, processes and technology;
- Broad experience in organizing, planning and executing large-scale projects from vision through implementation;
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills to evaluate business problems and apply knowledge to identify appropriate solutions;
- Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate through ambiguity;
- Strong presentation skills; ability to present and discuss strategies and technical information in a manner that establishes rapport, influences others and gains support.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.