Project Controls Coordinator, Rail Systems
WSP in Thornhill, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Project Controls Coordinator to join our office in Thornhill, ON. Reporting to Rail Project Controls Manager - Rail Systems Engineering, the Project Controls Coordinator provides support and assistance to the project team, coordinating and supporting the execution of project activities, including document control, cost analysis, record keeping and liaison with the team. As a member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to apply your education and experience on large, complex projects. You will be challenged to manage multiple priorities, meet tight deadlines, and maintain a very high quality. You will gain knowledge through mentorship and skills development, fast-track your professional development to become a strong project coordinator in the rail consulting field.
- Receive information related to the project and distribute the information to the responsible parties;
- Maintain a register of all project documents by regular updates of related logs to track all documents;
- Manage and monitor timelines related to submissions or review process by email notification and reminders;
- Perform operational and financial analysis, cost-benefit analysis, and econometric analysis;
- Manage program and project document management system and retrieve project documentation communicated between related teams;
- Interface with the project team on document control matters and train all applicable project staff in the use of the document management system;
- Attend meetings, as required, take minutes, distribute minutes of meeting, follow-up on actions;
- Coordinate project team monthly and bi-weekly progress meetings; draft, release agendas and minutes;
- Report preparation and drafting of correspondence;
- Ensure all project documentation is compliant with project formats, company standards, styles, and verification forms;
- Communicate with clients, sub-consultants, and team members in a professional manner;
- Review final reports and submissions for delivery and prepare courier packages;
- Research best practices, developing a business case, reporting and client presentations;
- With Rail Project Controls Manager's guidance, prepare project plans including, work breakdown structures, scheduling, cost plan, quality plan, change management plan, communications plan, risk plan, procurement plan and resource plan;
- Track and report on project plan progress for cost and schedule reporting, change control and analyzing areas with deviations from the project plan;
- Monitor weekly performance and quality; recommend corrective actions to the Rail Project Controls Manager;
- Maintain and monitor project issue logs, and provide support to the other Managers as required;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Bachelor or advanced degree with a major in Business, Economics, Finance, Urban or Transportation Planning, Environmental Sciences, Operations Research, or related field required;
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent is an asset;
- Strong interest and or experience in transit operations;
- Ability to think creatively, work independently and deliver high quality work with minimal supervision and with aggressive timelines;
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Excellent problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to synthesize problems, and communicate point of view and analytical results;
- Team player with a flexible attitude and the ability to prioritize workload and handle multiple deadlines;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Integrity, professionalism, and excellent written and verbal communication skills are required to handle both internal and external communications with tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in teams and generate a spirit of cooperation while coordinating diverse activities and groups; people management and negotiating skills within a team environment;
- Experience in project administration and/or document control in a design or professional services environment is an asset;
- Familiarity with handling drawings and technical documents and project management practices;
- Able to work in multiple office locations;
- A self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to take initiative;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio. MS Access is an asset;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills are a must;
- Available for occasional overtime work;
- Driver's license; available to travel to various project sites.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.