Licensed Practical Nurse (Casual), Emergency Department
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-34760 External
BARGAINING UNIT: CUPE
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Department
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Casual
JOB TITLE: Licensed Practical Nurse
CLASSIFICATION: Licensed Practical Nurse (3014)
LANGUAGE: English essential
HOURS OF WORK: Casual-Rotating Days, Evenings, Nights, Subject to change due to operational requirements.
SALARY: $23.1388 to $24.9071 per hour (Subject to Employment Status may be paid at 90% of the indicated rate as per CUPE collective agreement article 6.08 a)
To provide nursing care to patients under the direction of the Registered Nurse in a collaborative practice work environment.
- Graduation from an approved school for Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Must be currently registered with the N.B. Association of Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Current BLS
- Trained in Casting/Splinting, phlebotomy and insertion of saline locks.
- Years of Emergency Experience
- Knowledge in CTAS
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and a collaborative practice work structure.
- Ability to function within the current LPN scope of practice.
- Demonstrates initiative, good judgement and the ability to set priorities.
- Consistently demonstrates effective communication skills both verbal and written.
- Professional in appearance.
- High regard for confidentiality, and adheres to the Code of Conduct as well as all Horizon Policies.
- Relevant work experience as a Licensed Practical Nurses within the past five years.
- Willing to complete any relevant advanced competency education.
- Maintains annually, CPR and other online learning requirements (ie. Whimmis, Emergency Codes, Handwashing, MRSA, Standard and Transmission Based Precautions, Patient Safety)
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English required
- Ensure a safe working environment for self and fellow employees
- Role model and demonstrate a commitment to patient safety
- Communicate effectively
- Participating in safe practice education (i.e. Complete required e-learning programs annually)
- Meets professional, ethical and legal responsibilities outlined by the Association of Licensed Practical Nurses
Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, the Licensed Practical Nurse:
- Observes and reports changes in patients 's condition within an appropriate timeframe.
- Performs therapeutic communication techniques with individuals, families and groups
- Promotes an atmosphere of respect and provides a positive influence on other staff members by fostering a spirit of teamwork.
- Practices collaboratively with Registered Nurses, and all other members of the patient care team
- Documents pertinent information as per ANBLPN Professional documentation standards and Horizon Documentation Standard Operation of Practice
- Provides nursing care within the LPN scope of practice as outlined in the Practical Nurse Graduate Competency document produced by the Association of LPN's.
- Provides mentorship and guidance for nursing students
- Able to perform basic Life Saving Techniques
- Consistently uses proper techniques for isolation.
- In collaboration with the Registered Nurse the LPN participates in respiratory therapy via oxygen mask and cannula up to 3 Liters.
- Prepares patient for transfer and/or discharge in collaboration with the Registered Nurse
- Participates in continuing competence activities, continually assesses learning needs and is committed to acquiring and maintain Practical Nurse competences. Participates in units activities, such as training and staff meetings.
NOTE: These job duties are only the basic and prime duties of the job. Related and allied duties will be casting, splinting, phlebotomy and insertion of saline locks. Member of the Facility Stat Medical Response Team with key responsibility of assisting RN with assessment.
SUPERVISED BY: Nurse Manager
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by September 26, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-34760-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.