Auxiliary Machinery Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Multiple Locations
Halifax City, NS | Halifax Regional Municipality, NS | Halifax, NS
Auxiliary Machinery Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The CSC Auxiliary Machinery Engineer is a permanent full time position located in Halifax, NS, responsible for engineering activities relating to shipboard auxiliary machinery and associated piping systems for the Canadian Surface Combatant Project. The CSC Marine Systems Engineer will report to the Team Leader, CSC Auxiliary Machinery.
- Participate in the development of CSC auxiliary systems design processes and procedures
- Participate in defining auxiliary systems requirements
- Assists with facilitating and overseeing subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical purchase specifications relating to auxiliary systems
- Assist with change management associated with auxiliary systems and related marine systems
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of development of the CSC design
- Participate in negotiations with equipment and material vendors
- Support the review of auxiliary systems content in technical design reviews
- Assist in developing and implementing test plans, procedures, and requirements verification tracking
- Support the final project close out of all documentation updates and development of user manuals relating to auxiliary systems
- Address risk items relating to the Auxiliary Machinery Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning
- Interface with shipyard production and planning teams to ensure the auxiliary system design products adequately reflect facility limitations, capabilities, and build methodology.
- Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producability, shipyard safety, and production performance
- Participate in negotiations with vendors
- Develop and foster client and subcontractor relationships
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams
Successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of Electrical or Mechanical engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience working on naval ship design, commercial shipbuilding, or other large military procurement program
- Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for shipboard auxiliary systems
- Experience with auxiliary systems including, fuel systems, lube oil systems, hydraulic systems, compressed air systems, raw salt water cooling systems, freshwater systems, sludge systems, bilge and ballast systems, firemain systems, steering systems, piping design and other similar shipboard systems.
- Familiar with naval areas of shock and ship signatures and the impacts on systems design
- Familiar with system design for redundancy, distributed systems, and graceful degradation to support system and ship survivability
- Experience working within an Integrated Business Management Environment (IBME) that includes an integrated suite of software customized for design and construction including 3D modeling software, catalogue management, planning, and construction management
- Experience interfacing and working with subcontractors
- Experience working in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) work structure
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
For further details, please contact Krista Shah at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Please be advised that some positions have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.