Senior Track Design Engineer
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Track Design Engineer, to join our Rail Systems Department, located at our project office, in Toronto. Reporting to the Manager, Rail Systems, this position will be responsible for managing and leading track design expertise in relation to engineering work associated with the WSP Rail and Transit Systems projects.
- Leading development of and performance specifications and trackwork design to meet project requirements;
- Performing and/or coordinating the planning, monitoring, analysis and evaluation of the track designs to effectively address track design, construction, interface and maintenance issues;
- Managing track engineering staff and consultants engaged to provide specialized track design and verification;
- Performing design reviews pertaining to the design of the track alignment and trackwork through all project phases;
- Providing independent verification of design suitability pertaining to trackwork and wheel rail interface;
- Reviewing design standard variances, p articipating in and reviewing "value engineering" initiatives, and obtaining stakeholders buy-in;
- Supporting quality control/quality assurance and safety certification processes;
- Reviewing technical documents for tender; working cooperatively with counterparts in other departments in order to meet client requirements;
- Reviewing design-build proposals, and providing written comments for design and technical proposal submissions by consultants and/or design-build consortium;
- Developing requests for third party Work Plans and reviewing, negotiating, recommending release, and endorsing invoices of Work Plan phases as they relate to program-level trackwork initiatives;
- Representing WSP on all assigned technical matters relating to your expertise in track design;
- Facilitating and attending technical and/or progress meetings as required, reviewing progress reports, and endorsing invoices for services;
- Reviewing and/or preparing various reports and other correspondence related to project technical issues, witnessing and/or coordinating tests and inspections of the trackwork components and systems, and evaluating their performance;
- Regular contacts are with all levels of employees and management staff in the Transit Expansion Department and including on occasion, representatives from the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario, Metrolinx, and Infrastructure Ontario, to provide information, advice, support and recommendations regarding operating and administrative issues, rules, procedures, standards, budgets, etc;
- Occasional contact with contractors, consultants and other technical resource personnel;
- Other duties as assigned/required. .
- University (accredited) degree in an Engineering program;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario is required;
- Demonstrated experience in leading mass transit trackwork designs and installation;
- Hands on experience with both floating slab and direct fixation trackwork for subway applications is required;
- Knowledge of the government regulations, safety regulations and procedures, and the legislation and standards that would be applicable to the Transit Expansion projects;
- Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees;
- Must have or quickly acquire sound knowledge of Commission and Transit Expansion Department organizational structure, policies, procedures and programs applicable to the work performed;
- Ability to handle multiple projects and make sound business decisions in a timely manner to adapt to changing situations;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and coordinate the efforts of others to accomplish objectives;
- Must successfully complete in-house training as relating to duties and responsibilities;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and co-ordinate the efforts of others to accomplish objectives;
- Comprehensive knowledge of project management principles, methods and practices is combined with sound judgement; effective organizational, research, analytical and problem solving abilities; good oral and written communication skills, including technical report writing skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc