Engineer - Ground Control
Who We Are
Vale is one of the world's largest mining companies, with a presence in more than 30 countries across five continents worldwide. Our mission is to transform natural resources into prosperity and sustainable development.
Vale is also the world's second largest producer of nickel, with its Base Metals business headquartered in Toronto. Operating in Canada for more than 100 years, our Canadian operations also produce copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver. We aim to produce profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company where our most important value is "life matters most".
Vale's operations in Sudbury are home to one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world, including five mines, a mill, a smelter and a refinery. It is also one of the safest, with the mines being awarded the national John T. Ryan award in several recent consecutive years. Sudbury is also the heart of Vale's environmental initiatives. In partnership with the community, Sudbury has made great strides in its environmental recovery program and through improved mining practices and support in the re-greening of the region. For these and other efforts globally, in 2013 Vale was named one of the 50 most sustainable corporations in the world, according to the 9th edition of the Global 100 list of the world's most sustainable corporations.
Our Sudbury Operations is currently seeking a:
Mining Engineer - Ground Control
We have an opportunity for a Mining Engineer - Ground Control supporting the Mine Engineering Department within Ontario Operations.
This role is primarily an individual contributor role that provides coordination of Engineering services specific to Ground Control to the Mine Operations/Engineering Department. The Mining Engineer works collaterally with his/her peers in the Engineering Department and cross functionally with all other areas of the operations to complete tasks in his/her area of accountability in the mine.
The successful candidate will work within the Engineering Department in support of Ground Control within the specified mine location. The Engineering Department provides support to site operations and maintenance teams.
- Perform seismic analysis on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to recognize trends, geological and mining influences
- Quantify seismic system array performance and adjust as necessary to properly monitor high priority areas.
- Review ground support audits to compliance to standards and guidance.
- Perform numerical modelling.
- To recommend action to ensure that safety and stability of mine excavations is maintained with respect to geotechnical requirements.
- To recommend solutions with respect to day-to-day ground control issues based on underground observation or operation reports.
- To provide technical support, advise and assist the mine operators and technical staff regarding ground control strategies and methods.
- To advise, assist, and aid in instrumentation selection & use for ground control measures.
- Assist rock mechanics specialist with respect to data acquisition and analysis.
- On-call duties as required for technical assistance with ground stability issues.
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in Engineering (or equivalent)
Professional Engineering designation is preferred
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of related technical experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong initiative
- Excellent past safety record is essential
- Strong team work is required
- Able to work effectively without extensive supervision
- Problem solving skills
- Able to work on mining proposals with respect to ground control
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to prepare and present material dealing with ground control
- Ability to provide technical guidance for all engineering mine designs
- Ability to make complex plans or analyses
- Proficient in MS Office, particularly Excel
- Knowledge of project management
- Experience with CAD Systems and software related to mine design and planning (e.g. Deswick)
- Working knowledge of micro seismic systems
- Preference will be given to candidates with directly related ground control engineering experience
- Candidate will be required to work in underground environment including active mining areas, confined spaces, climbing ladders, working at heights, fall arrest systems etc.
- Valid Driver's license required
Please be advised that only those applicants who are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act , accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.