Administrative Assistant to the Director General
City: St. John's
Organizational Unit: Ocean, Coastal and River Engineering
Language Requirements: Bilingual Imperative CBC/CBC
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA'S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada represents a powerful partnering option for anyone looking to push the boundaries of science and industry. In fact, as the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, we have become catalysts for innovation. For over a hundred years, the impact of our work with industry leaders and other government bodies has shaped Canada's future. We partner with some of the most creative and solutions-driven minds in the world.
And now, we want to partner with you. Be part of our collective force to come up with potentially disruptive solutions to Canada's current and future technology challenges. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a vibrant and dynamic Administrative Assistant to the Director General to support our Ocean, Coastal and River Engineering (OCRE) Research Centre. The Administrative Assistant would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
Reporting directly to the Director General, OCRE, the Administrative Assistant enhances the effectiveness of the Director General by providing professional, multi-skilled and effective administrative support. The Administrative Assistant is the first line of contact with internal and external clients, responding to requests of a complex and confidential nature and aligning responses to the strategic goals of the organization.
The ideal candidate is someone who is a team player who excels at planning, organizing, and delivering the tasks at hand and who assists the management team in achieving its objectives. This is an exciting, demanding and prominent position for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible and organized professional with a demonstrated ability to work with sensitive, critical and confidential matters.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
- Successful completion of Secondary School according to provincial standards with post-secondary Administrative Assistant training.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Significant and recent experience in providing administrative support at a senior management level.
- Significant experience providing client service in an administrative multi-disciplinary environment.
- Significant and recent experience working with Microsoft (MS) Office Suite products, specifically MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and MS Outlook.
Condition of Employment
- Secret (II)
- Bilingual Imperative CBC/CBC
- Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Advanced knowledge of general administrative practices and procedures;
- Ability to anticipate, organize and prioritize important and competing items, meetings and requests;
- Ability to research, analyze and synthesize information from various sources;
- Ability to use MS Office suite products (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook);
- Ability to draft correspondence, to proof-read and edit documents and correspondence;
- Ability to demonstrate discretion, tact and sound judgment in daily activities; and
- Ability to review sensitive items and information to determine the most appropriate course of action.
- Management services - Client focus (Level 2)
- Management services - Communication (Level 2)
- Management services - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 2)
- Management services - Initiative (Level 2)
- Management services - Results orientation (Level 2)
- Management services - Teamwork (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Management Services
- Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
- From $47,713 to $60,673 per annum.
In addition, the incumbent will receive the Bilingualism Bonus of $800 per year.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- In order to ensure a prompt and efficient processing of applications, candidates are encouraged to provide, along with their résumé, a detailed covering letter explaining how they meet each of the requirements of this position (education, experience, language requirements) by providing concrete examples.
- Candidates who have Second Language Evaluation (SLE) test results with the Public Service Commission should include these results with their application.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Measures for accommodation are available to all candidates retained for further assessment.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (4701) to:
Closing Date: 26 September 2018 - 23:59 Eastern Time
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources