Environmental Engineer or Scientist
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is looking for a motivated intermediate civil-environmental scientist/engineer or professional science/engineering technologist with 6 to 10 years' experience to work with the Environmental Management Team. The position is to be staffed in Edmonton, with work locations throughout Western Canada.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to use and grow their project management skills, work on a variety of projects, and work with professionals with WSP throughout Alberta, Canada and internationally.
We are looking for a candidate who is motivated, organized, adaptable, responsible and accountable for their work, has good interpersonal skills, and works well with others. Need to possess strong verbal and written communication skills in dealing with colleagues, clients and regulators. Should have a strong base understanding and experience with respect to environmental monitoring and site investigations.
This position is important to the success of our firm and requires a commitment to promote our values, as well as achieving technical goals.
- Auditing - environmental and health & safety; developing auditing protocols, and sound understanding of applicable regulatory requirements, and auditing framework
- Waste management - conducting site selection and site investigations, completing design and preparing approval applications for landfills and transfer stations, preparing operations plans and closure plans, conducting remediation plans and programs
- Environmental assessment - monitoring and remediation for industrial, commercial and municipal sites
- Permitting and regulatory - understanding and application of environmental regulatory requirements in respect of municipal, commercial and industrial facilities (existing and proposed); including municipal, provincial and federal regulations
- Project Management - assist with managing all aspects including project implementation, resourcing, budgeting, scheduling, reporting, reporting, quality management, team mentorship and day to day client liaison.
- Other duties as assigned/required
- University degree or diploma in environmental engineering or sciences
- 6+ years of environmental consulting experience
- Project Management Experience
- Eligibility for membership with an applicable professional association
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office 2013 programs
- An enthusiastic attitude and team spirit.
- Excellent written and communication skills
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver's license with no restrictions
- Must be available and have the ability to work in the field and out of town, as required.
- Experience with driving 4X4's trucks, all-terrain vehicles and watercraft is an asset
- Up to date safety training in Standard First Aid, H2S Alive, and Ground Disturbance is an asset
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.