Senior Energy Modeler
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Energy Modeler to help lead and grow our Vancouver Sustainability and Energy Team. This position will be responsible for focusing on integrated design facilitation, LEED, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, WELL Building Standard and advanced building simulations across Canada. This position can be delivered from any one of our offices in major cities in Western Canada and Ontario. Reporting to the National VP of Sustainability & Energy this position will be responsible for enhancing our industry reputation, providing technical mentorship and leadership to the national energy modelling team, and helping to advance the practice of performance modeling within WSP.
- Inspire the performance modeling team to deliver top of market projects;
- Accountable for the overall quality and client satisfaction on building performance analysis projects and how the team collectively meets clients' needs;
- Manage client expectations and ensure client satisfaction;
- Partner with clients to define project targets and success factors;
- Support the management of operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the team;
- Provide technical analysis and/or support during the design and construction process;
- Provide guidance on energy modeling to other project teams;
- Be an active member of the integrated design team;
- Contribute to practice development and our knowledge management system;
- Work as part of a design team to provide input on energy conservation measures and make recommendations for cost effective improvements;
- Perform energy modeling and analysis on new and existing buildings;
- Use a wide range of performance simulation tools to analyze energy efficiency;
- Provide technical coaching, mentorship, and development of staff
- Review design documents (plans, specifications, shop drawings) as they are developed to ensure that the intended energy efficiency measures are being incorporated into the design;
- Update energy simulations as the design progresses;
- Support the development of proposals including pricing, scope development, and client interaction; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Applied Science;
- Registered Professional Engineer in at least one of BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario (more than one provincial registration considered an asset);
- Minimum 10 years of demonstrated proficiency in building performance analysis/energy modeling (IESVE, eQuest, EnergyPlus or TRNSYS are preferred);
- Experience with Building Sciences, Lighting, Electrical systems, and Envelope;
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical systems and HVAC equipment;
- Understanding and knowledge of Architectural, Electrical / Mechanical Drawings;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment and independently;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines;
- Effective communication skills including verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Being on the following lists considered a strong asset:
- CaGBC approved Energy Modeller (as listed when closed on October 12, 2016)
- BC Hydro approved Energy Modeller
- USGBC energy model reviewer; and
- Experience with Daylight Modeling and/or Thermal Comfort Modeling and/or CFD considered an asset.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.