Hemodialysis RN (Permanent Full Time), Hemodialysis
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-34508-External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: Hemodialysis RN
CLASSIFICATION: RNCA Registered Nurse Class A
LANGUAGE: English Essential with requirement to handle verbal French inquiries
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Days, Evenings, Subject to change due to operational requirements.
SALARY: $31.23 to $39.57 per hour
Provision of Nursing Care to meet the renal patient and family needs utilizing the nursing process.
- Currently registered with the Nurses Association of New Brunswick.
- Demonstrates & understands the Nursing Process.
- Good previous work & attendance record.
- Physically able to perform assigned duties.
- Proper regard for confidential information.
- Demonstrates initiative & good judgement.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrates teaching skills.
- Demonstrates technical expertise.
- Hemodialysis experience ESSENTIAL
- Two years general nursing experience.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English and spoken competence in French required.
- Assesses the health care needs of renal patients.
- Identifies renal patient needs & problems utilizing an assessment tool.
- Identifies needs affecting discharge planning & potential services required at home.
- Formulates objectives specific to the patient needs i.e.: nursing diagnosis.
- Provides health teaching, counselling, and health promotion to individuals or groups.
1.0 Uses the Kidney Foundation Manual and appropriate renal teaching tools to effectively prepare the renal patient to manage his/her disease.
1.1 Assesses, plans, performs and evaluates renal patient's and family's needs for renal teaching.
- Provides nursing care required to achieve the acute and chronic renal failure patient's desired outcomes.
2.0 Provides hemodialysis through an appropriate vascular access.
2.1 Performs arteriovenous fistula/graft cannulation.
2.2 Assesses the extra corporeal circuit.
2.3 Monitors the patient; regulating ultrafiltration rate & anticoagulant infusion.
2.4 Removes femoral, subclavian, internal jugular or A-V access cannulas as appropriate.
2.5 Provides physical and psychological assessment of the acute and chronic nephrology patient
- Evaluate outcomes of nursing actions for further assessment & planning.
3.0 Uses principles of renal replacement therapy to evaluate outcomes & plan future care & treatment as per nephrology patient assessment.
3.1 Utilizes the computerized renal data management system & other forms of composite data collection to help identify trends & respond appropriately.
3.2 Works within the primary and team nursing delivery model.
3.3 Case manages assigned primary patients
- Utilizes effective communication skills to achieve a therapeutic relationship with patients and family members.
- Performs patient and family education following assessment of patient and family learning needs.
- Supports new employees during orientation and mentorship.
- Directs & supervises other staff as appropriate.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team in identifying, planning, implementing & evaluating changes.
- Demonstrates initiative for personal professional development.
4.0 Continues to update renal knowledge through ongoing reading and participating in Journal Clubs, conferences and education sessions.
4.1 Becomes certified as a Nephrology nurse; Cneph(c); under the CNA certification program.
- Participates in programs promoting quality improvement on nursing unit.
- Provides leadership and direction of care within team care delivery framework.
- Participates in research activity related to Hemodialysis population
NOTE: Please note that 8 weeks of full time orientation is required for this position,
These job duties are only the basic & prime duties of the job, related & allied duties may be assigned from time to time as may become necessary to the operation of the nephrology program and the hospital.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by September 12, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time
Please quote Competition # 2018-34508 External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.