Registered Nurse Class A (Permanent Part Time), IV Therapy Program
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-34480 External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: IV Therapy Program
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Part Time
JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse Class A
CLASSIFICATION: RNCA Registered Nurse Class A
LANGUAGE: Bilingual Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Days, Evenings, Nights, FTE: 0.5, Subject to change due to operational requirements.
SALARY: $31.23 to $39.57 per hour
To provide nursing care to patients requiring vascular support services using skills and knowledge that exceed the basic entry level requirements to perform these duties.
The RN works collaboratively as a patient care team member and directs the vascular nursing care to ensure safe, high quality infusion therapy and peripheral and CVAD site integrity.
- Active registration in N.A.N.B.
- Good previous work and attendance record.
- Record of good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated clinical competency in performing venipuncture, initiating peripheral IV therapy, administering IV drugs including chemotherapy drugs, and care and management of advanced venous access devices.
- Physically able to perform duties.
- Good understanding of case management and the multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
- Certified Provincial Chemotherapy Course or willingness to become certified.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English and French required
ADVANCED NURSING SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Performs venipuncture for the withdrawal of quality blood samples.
- Performs micro-capillary blood collection.
- Initiates peripheral intravenous therapy (excluding scalp vein IV's) on both adults and children.
- Initiates infusions and provides care and maintenance for both short and long-term venous access devices (PICCs, midlines, portacaths, passports, peripheral IV catheters - single and multi-lumen).
- In a timely manner, answers consults pertaining to initiation of ambulatory pumps for patients waiting for discharge and insertion of midline catheters.
- Training in the insertion of Midline catheters and maintenance of site integrity and dressings.
- Obtains quality blood samples from both short and long term venous access devices.
- Administers thrombolytic agent (Cathflo/Alteplase) to restore and maintain patency of venous access devices (delegated medical function or Advanced Nursing Competency).
- Administers and/or assists in the administration of blood and blood components such as Factor VIII.
- Administration of approved IV medications.
- Follows all IPC practices and protocols for safe initiation and maintenance of IV fluids and blood products.
- Provide vascular access expertise to those clinical areas that have patients with difficult access.
- Administers chemotherapeutic agents intravenously.
- Assumes responsibility for care and maintenance of TPN lines and sites.
- For home TPN patients awaiting discharge, develops and implements individualized teaching programs according to their needs and conditions.
- Prepares and administers approved medications intravenously.
- Possesses knowledge and skills necessary to operate and trouble shoot all infusion pumps including ambulatory infusion devices and other equipment used for home intravenous treatment.
- Understands collaborative working environments and provides clear and accurate communication and appropriate delegation and supervision of tasks to other health care workers.
- Coordinates inpatient/outpatient services for patients requiring vascular access at home.
- Provides education and support to professional staff based on their needs and objectives. Acts as mentors for new learners of vascular skills.
- Participates in data collection, maintains stats and quality assurance activities such as auditing.
- Participates in vascular product evaluation.
- Cleans and restocks equipment areas as required.
- Collects data for quality assurance tools.
- Gathers and maintains workload statistics.
- Gathers specific data for research purposes when required.
- Participates in ongoing educational programs as appropriate.
- Provides education and training to all RN's and LPN's throughout the facility that require vascular access training. This includes education for general hospital orientation.
COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS:
- Serves as a resource to professional staff requiring assistance or information in relation to the purpose and functions of the Intravenous Day Hospital.
- Develops appropriate therapeutic relationships with patients and their families.
- Demonstrates good communication skills with product representatives and other health professionals who may be involved with the planning of a patient's care.
- Assures confidentiality with regard to all patient information.
- Participates in product evaluations and clinical trials.
SAFETY: Follows all Hospital safety policies and provides a safe environment for patients, visitors and Hospital staff.
ATTENDANCE: As per Horizon policy.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES USED:
- All venipuncture equipment, and/or related lab equipment.
- All IV infusion equipment including ambulatory infusion pumps.
- I3 Medical Information System.
SUPERVISED BY: Nurse Manager of Intravenous Resource
WORKING CONDITIONS: Works as a member of a collaborative team while carrying out individual functions autonomously.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by September 12, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-34480-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.