WSP in Kitchener, ON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we're proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking Intermediate or Senior Road Designers (Engineer or Technologist) to join our Roads & Highways Department, located at our Kitchener office. Reporting to the Department Manager this position will be responsible for the delivery of multi-discipline roadway design projects (for a range of municipal clients).
- Prepare technical analysis and design; including cost estimating, quantity calculations, etc.;
- Prepare and review detailed design drawings and presentation materials for urban and rural roads;
- Prepare and manage contract specifications and documentation;
- Liaison with all discipline team members, sub-consultants, clients and agencies;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education with an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university or a Civil Engineering Technologist program from an accredited college;
- 5 to 15+ years' experience in the transportation design engineering field preferably with experience on municipal planning and/or design projects. Experience on MTO projects is desirable;
- Professional licensing with PEO or an OACETT membership would be an asset;
- Experience with all aspects of roadway design (e.g. alignments, geometrics, staging, utilities, roadside safety, quantity calculation, contract documents, constructability);
- Practical knowledge of TAC design manual and municipal design procedures and standards;
- Previous experience with preparing detail design drawings, deliverables, and contract packages;
- Demonstrated experience with developing complex construction staging strategies for roadway/bridge rehabilitation projects is an asset;
- Ability to work with various software packages (i.e. Microstation / InRoads, AutoCAD / Civil 3D, Microsoft Office);
- Experience with technical writing, minute preparation, etc.;
- Ability to handle multiple projects with the ability to effectively prioritize;
- Ability to estimate design level of effort, meet milestone schedule deliverables etc.;
- General understanding of traffic engineering principles;
- General understanding of other road design requirements (e.g. drainage / hydraulic design, environmental design / mitigation measure, engineering surveys, geotechnical investigations and design);
- General understanding of QA / QC as well as Environmental Health and Safety practices / requirements;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills ;
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and provide guidance/mentoring to junior design staff;
- Established, good working relationship with MTO staff would be considered an asset.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.