Charge Nurse (Permanent Full Time), 5CS Family Medicine
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-34380 External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: 5CS Family Medicine
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: Charge Nurse
CLASSIFICATION: RNCB Registered Nurse Class B
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Day, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $33.32 To $40.58 per Hour
This is an advanced clinical nurse leadership position in planning, organizing, coaching/mentoring and assessing program / staff and/or the nursing service within an assigned area.
Work involves providing; clinical leadership within an assigned unit / area, acting as a resource to all allied health professionals and/or community organizations as required
- Nurse must hold current registration in New Brunswick
- Nursing Baccalaureate Degree preferred or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 5 Years' experience in clinical practice, with preference given to those with medicine experience
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and a high regard for values (organizational & Nursing)
- Exceptional understanding and demonstrated experience in coaching, mentoring, and educating clinical staff
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients and families, members of the allied health team, and the general public
- Demonstrates management competencies: leadership, managing resources, superior communication skills (verbal/non-verbal/written), sound judgement and decision making
- Proven ability to read, analyze, and utilize research / evidence and translate into best practices at the unit level
- Demonstrates the ability to solve problems using initiative and judgement to reach quality decisions
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Ability to physically perform the duties of the position, which can include providing assistance with direct patient care as required
- Good work record
- Written and spoken competence in English essential
- Is an expert clinical practitioner who leads nursing practice (is clinically up to date, able to assess patients thoroughly, plan care rigorously, and evaluate nursing interventions based on evidence)
- Provide comprehensive assessment, intervention and evaluation of outcomes with specific patient populations as defined by the Nurse Manager and will work with the inter-professional team in the provision of safe, evidence-based quality care.
- Assess individual patient plans of care and ensures that that they are realistic, obtainable and progressing
- Supervises day-to-day patient care by touching base with all patients through rounding; while supporting nursing staff in developing collaborative patient centered plans of care
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team to optimize patient outcomes
- Ensuring that patient flow (admission, transfer and discharge) is progressing within targeted time frames. Working collaboratively with the Bed Access Coordinator, admitting dept. and discharge planning team to facilitate smooth patient transition through the health care system.
- Completes appropriate patient assignments and modifies assignments based on changing needs of patients and patient acuity
- Assess learning needs of employees against clearly defined standards, expectations and practice guidelines
- Identifies gaps in patient education material and promotes patient education
- Works in a collaborative Leadership capacity with the Nurse Manager
- Provide teaching/learning opportunities (mentoring, coaching, educational opportunities; self-learning packages, team discussions, case reviews, etc.)
- Provide feedback of performance against standards
- Engages actively in organizational initiatives
- Acts as a facilitator to resolve problems and conflict; promotes teamwork
- Builds team capacity by supporting frontline staff development in areas such as critical thinking
- Supports Nurse Manager with development, implementation and evaluation of individual work plans to address practice concerns
- Provides leadership during emergencies/unusual situations on the unit in accordance with facility/unit policies and procedures
- Supports just-in-time education in partnership with the Nurse Educator
Quality & Safety
- Promotes and supports a unit environment of continuous quality & safety
- Actively participates in daily unit huddles with a focus on any patient or staff safety concerns
- Collaborates with Nurse Manager and frontline staff to identify potential obstacles to meeting unit goals and takes actions to address them. Example: Unit Audits for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) such as hand hygiene, inclusive of the development and follow through of plans to address areas of improvement
- Any assigned activity as determined and delegated at the discretion of the Nurse Manager
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by September 9, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-34380-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.