Department of Energy and Resource Development
Pay Band 5
The Department of Energy and Resource Development is seeking an individual to join the Forest Planning and Stewardship Branch as an Entomologist, in Fredericton.
As a member of the Forest Health team and reporting to the Section Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Providing supervision and leadership to technical staff, including managing performance, developing work plans and supporting developmental opportunities;
- Planning, organizing and implementing annual field, lab and aerial surveys throughout the Province to gather biological and other related information in order to identify and monitor pest populations and forecast and assess protection needs;
- Establishing, updating, and maintaining pest and related databases needed to implement pest decision support tools to support forest pest control operations and related pest management activities;
- Analyzing and interpreting pest survey data and compiling technical reports and making recommendations for provincial forest pest control programs;
- Identifying and responding to new pest problems including conducting necessary scientific literature reviews;
- Planning and organizing appropriate surveys and assess new control programs as needed;
- Participating in multi-agency projects and representing the Department on various forestry and entomological committees and task forces at the provincial and national levels as required;
- Responding to inquiries from the public, media and Department staff regarding insect and disease topics; identifying pests and suggesting control actions where applicable;
- Liaising with other departments, governments, clients and stakeholders and responding to public concerns;
- Performing other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor's degree in Forestry, Biology, or Entomology; and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in forest pest management, including conducting insect population surveys and damage appraisal surveys. A minimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience is required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability on your application.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume. Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
ASSET QUALIFICATION(S): Preference may be given to candidates that possess the following: a Master's degree specializing in Entomology and/or Pest Management; experience in using ESRI® mapping software, data analyses, and forestry inventory interpretation; experience and proficiency in report writing and analyses; experience in forestry practices in New Brunswick; experience in the major forest health issues in the Maritime Provinces. Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Organizational Awareness
- Organizational Commitment
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Specialized subject matter expertise and knowledge in the field of forest entomology/pest management; knowledge of monitoring and forecasting pest populations and determining protection and treatment needs;
- Ability to use office technology, software and applications;
- Planning and organizing skills;
- Presentation skills;
- Written communication.
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be prepared to: travel occasionally to off-site field and laboratory locations; attend conferences and meetings to present findings and supporting documentation; perform duties with a high degree of independence and judgment; provide accurate information to support informed decisions for long-term consequences; establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with other departments and agencies and respond to public concerns.
SALARY: $55,120 to $77,012 per annum
NOTE: In the event that this competition poses difficulties in recruiting a qualified candidate, a covering off appointment at a lower level may be made. In that case, candidates with less than the required related years of experience may also be considered.
We encourage applicants to apply on-line or by mail at the following address by September 21, 2018 indicating competition number: ERD-18-19. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Energy and Resource Development
Human Resource Services
Hugh John Flemming Forestry Centre
1350 Regent Street
Fredericton, NB E3C 2G6
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and Veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!