Director of Community Finances
Environment and Local Government
Director of Community Finances
Pay Band 7
The Department of Environment and Local Government is seeking an individual to join the Community Finances branch as Director in Fredericton.
As lead to the Community Finances branch, the Director will report to the Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) of Local Government. The Director will be responsible to provide leadership to the Community Finances team through developing work plans, supporting developmental opportunities, managing performance, and establishing priorities. The Director will also be responsible for providing advice and guidance on municipal financial matters, including accounting and reporting requirements, financial policies and legislation and programs and services, to local governments, other levels of government, auditors, and the public.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for:
- Serving as secretary to the Municipal Capital Borrowing Board
- Developing policy and procedures related to capital borrowing
- Preparing and presenting annual reports
- Operational planning, budget, mentoring and training of branch staff
- Managing municipal funding programs
- Approving the annual operating budgets, on behalf of the Minister, for local governments, regional police commissions, business improvement areas, water and waste commissions and local service districts Publication of the annual report of municipal statistics
- Managing the process for the issuance and repayment of long-term debenture debt through the NB Municipal Finance Corporation
- Overseeing the operation of the budgeting and financial reporting system for local service districts
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: University degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Public Administration, or a related discipline and a Certified Professional Accountant designation with a minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible senior financial management experience, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
Written and spoken competence in English and French is required. Please state your language capability.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates that have experience in the municipal sector or experience in public sector accounting. Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
The following operational requirements are also required: Occasional travel and work outside of regular office hours.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Analytical thinking/judgement;
- Information seeking;
- Developing others;
- Organizational commitment;
- Results orientation;
- Team leadership;
- Client service orientation;
- Effective interactive communication.
TECHNICAL COMPTENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Knowledge of accounting and financial principles;
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and the Department's policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of auditing;
- Written communication.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
Salary: $76,804 to $92,898 annually
We encourage applicants to apply on-line or by mail at the following address by August 24, 2018 indicating competition number: 80-18-004 This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Department of Environment and Local Government
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!