Open to the Public
Executive Council - Acadian And Francophone Affairs
Location - Charlottetown
Full-Time Temporary Position
(Commencing in October 2018, for 18 months)
The purpose of this position is to provide professional linguistic services in French and English to provincial government clients, mainly through translation and proofreading services. Duties will include:
- Reading and analyzing submitted texts so as to thoroughly understand their context;
- Researching relevant terminology to ensure the text's clarity and precision;
- Communicating with client to clarify meaning and/or advise on problem areas;
- Translating text from the source to target language and/or proofreading for errors or omission;
- Submitting text to client within the prescribed deadline;
- Handling writing, editing and/or text adaptation duties;
- Comparing the source text and translation to ensure quality, checking the language and its relevance to the government of PEI and target audience, and making corrections accordingly;
- Ensuring final translation conveys the message of the source text as faithfully as possible;
- Providing expertise, recommendations and advice for decision-making related to the French website in context of the French Language Services Act;
- Locating or developing relevant French or English equivalents of specialized or technical terms;
- Contributing to the development of Translation Services policies;
- Other related duties as required.
- Degree from a recognized university translation program (translator) in combination with experience in the translation field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and French.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to do effective research on a variety of subjects.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to use documentary and languages resources to ensure the terminology complies with accepted usage in the field and the language register and style reflect the geographical/social context.
- The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of an acceptable criminal records check prior to commencing employment.
Please Note: Preference will be given toUPSE Civil employees as per the UPSE Civil Collective Agreement.
Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: $25.91- $30.84 per hour (Level 14)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Posting Id: 134306 -0818AFTI
Closing Date: Friday, August 24, 2018 4:00 p.m.
Please return application forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to 902-368-4383. DUE TO THE FACT THAT RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS BY FAX CANNOT BE GUARANTEED, APPLICANTS TRANSMITTING THEIR APPLICATIONS BY FAX MAY WISH TO CONFIRM RECEIPT BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting I.D. number is stated on all application forms. You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government Office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephoning 368-4080.