Technical Lead, Geotechnical Engineering
Calgary or Edmonton
In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We're a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects . In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list .
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently hiring for one of Canada's leading geotechnical engineering minds to head our geotechnical practice for Alberta. WSP has experienced unparalleled growth over the past several decades. With humble beginnings in Quebec, and a promising future as a respected design consultancy in the world. We want innovators, leaders, creative thinkers, and hardworking change-makers.
You will play a critical role in further developing our business, our brand, and our clients. As a high-profile person in our Canadian practice, you will collaborate across the regional teams as well as nationally and abroad to continue to establish us provider of innovative geotechnical solutions for current and future challenges. This role will challenge, excite, and inspire future geotechnical engineers who will shape the future of the Canadian landscape.
We're seeking a leader, of people, of projects and of the future. Through technical leadership, client relationships and project innovation, you will lead geotechnical in Canada for the future.
Why choose WSP?
- WSP is a Canadian success story - a company that began in Quebec to a growing global, multinational organization with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- You will change the world around us - from the environment, to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is part of the fabric of Canada;
- We provide excellent career opportunities - we're still growing and pushing ourselves every day to be better than we were yesterday. We do this for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians. We are open to new ideas and trying new things that will raise the bar;
- We have a collaborative culture and a forward-thinking growing workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing significant work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- We are a leading company with vision, technical leadership and are an employee/people centric place for the next generation to build and grow their careers;
- Are you a geotechnical authority who enjoys technically complex projects where you can flex your creative engineering mind?
- Do you enjoy interacting with clients and building new opportunities for growth and expansion?
- Do you love geotechnical engineering and enjoy engaging in technical conversations with peers?
About the WSP Calgary & Edmonton offices:
Our newly renovated spaces offer you sun-filled open concept offices located in downtown Calgary and Edmonton with quick access to transit (C-Train, buses) and heated underground parking. Both offices include sunlit, spacious cafés for staff to enjoy coffee, lunch, play games, watch TV and mingle. The Calgary office offers panoramic mountain views including the Rocky Mountains. We're connected to the+15, where you'' find shops, restaurants, cafes and a World Health Gym, less than two blocks away. In Edmonton, both the United by Wellness and Orangetheory gyms are less than 100m from the office, as well as a host of eateries and a Save On Foods within a few blocks. The buildings also feature shower facilities and covered bike racks, allowing you to be incorporate fitness in your routine.
- You'll be responsible for maintaining a strong technical involvement in projects and proposals;
- You will be establishing standard methodologies within the discipline and improving our methods;
- Technically supporting, training and guiding the geotechnical teams across the Prairies;
- Communicating between the two main geotechnical offices and the wider WSP geotechnical community with over 375 staff across Canada;
- Actively working with up-and-coming talent in the market by building and cultivating strong pools of future geotechnical talent;
- Engaging with the talent pipelines and promote WSP;
- Building strong relationships with management of the geotechnical and other WSP business lines, including finding opportunities for partnership;
- Developing and maintaining personal involvement with clients - understanding their needs, trends and opportunities;
- Positioning WSP as a key advisor and consultant for our clients, and a true business partner;
- Collaborating with the national vice president for geotechnical engineering to develop regional strategies to enhance and deliver on our national strategic goals and objectives;
- Representing WSP in the community to raise local brand awareness;
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Your ten to fifteen years of experience in geotechnical or geological engineering make you a confident leader technically, and interpersonally;
- You will have experience across two or more of the following sectors: transportation (rail, highways, airports etc.), industrial, municipal, renewable energy, infrastructure (development), and non-oil sands mining;
- You have extensive experience working in Alberta and understand the landscape and its nuances;
- Professional Engineer with APEGA (or able to register);
- Knowledge of materials engineering and testing is considered a strong asset;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong written and verbal communication;
- Reciprocal mindset and curiosity for pushing boundaries in thinking and acting;
- Employee-centric mindset with a passion for connecting and uncovering hidden potential in people;
- Customer-service focused with clients, able to build long-term partnerships with clients;
- Committed to exceptional service quality and safety performance;
- You'll be able to travel within Alberta.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and supports applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for those taking part in all aspects of the selection process. WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only those selected will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
WSP Canada Inc.