Recreation Leader - Program and Service Delivery (Two (2) Year Term Position)
Competition # 5786.18
CUPE Local 1709
The incumbent will be responsible for direct program and service delivery in the areas of recreation, sport and active living within the Recreation, Culture and Community Development Division. Scope of work includes the delivery of recreation, leisure and active living programs, opportunities, events and initiatives designed to meet the needs and wants of the residents of the City of Fredericton. The incumbent will be responsible for the administration and delivery of community based offerings designed to support the livable community and economic vitality programs. Areas of work focus associated with the position will vary, and will be assigned by the Division Manager. The hours for this position are 160 hours over 4 weeks, with evening and weekend work required.
The Recreation Leader responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Researching, developing, promoting, delivering and evaluating existing offerings (ie. currently position responsibilities include Mayor's Activity Awards, Zig Zag summer playground program) as well as new sport, recreation and active living initiatives (ie. family drop-ins, STEM) that are responsive to community needs and wants;
- Identifying and securing required resources (ie. staffing, equipment, infrastructure);
- Assisting with the hiring, training, support, supervision and evaluation of staff;
- Co-ordinating and delivering public consultation/community engagement sessions (with the community and key stakeholders);
- Volunteer recruitment and development;
- Working with Divisional staff to develop and deliver offerings that maximize use of municipal infrastructure;
- Liaising with community based organizations;
- Cultivating new, and strengthening current partnerships with a wide range of community based groups to support co-operative program delivery;
- Actively promoting and responding to questions regarding deliverables of the Division on the City web site and via social media;
- Identifying and securing employment and program support grants;
- Preparing correspondence and responding to inquiries from the public and municipal staff;
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Educational background in Sport and Recreation Administration, Kinesiology or a related field of study;
- Proven experience in recreation, sport and active living program and event development and delivery;
- Proven success conceptualizing, developing and delivering new initiatives to meet identified wants and needs;
- Valid Class V Drivers License;
- Experience hiring, training, supporting and evaluating staff;
- Experience in the formulation of successful project and employment grant proposals, performance tracking, and reporting.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- Lean Six Sigma training and experience identifying, leading and managing improvement projects is an asset;
- Ability to successfully multi-task and function effectively in a busy, fast-paced environment;
- Ability and effectively work as a team member;
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, co-workers and community partners;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with established program co-ordination and delivery skills;
- Facilitation skills with experience working in a public facing role;
- Interest in, and the ability to conceptualize, research and implement programs and offerings;
- Strong facilitative, analytic and problem solving skills;
- Well developed and concise oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong research and presentation skills;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- The ability to work in both official languages (English as well as French) is an asset.
Salary: Level H CUPE Local 1709 Salary Scale plus BSA
Interested individuals may apply in writing to: HR@fredericton.ca Or mail to: Human Resources, City of Fredericton, 397 Queen Street, Fredericton, NB E3B 1B5 ON or before 2018 August 20 at 4:30 pm.