Registered Nurse Class D (Temporary Full Time), Emergency Department
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-34058 External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Department
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Temporary Full Time
JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse Class D
CLASSIFICATION: RNCD Registered Nurse Class D
LANGUAGE: English Essential with requirements to handle verbal French inquiries
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, Statutory Holidays, TEMP: August 24, 2018 to July 19, 2019. Subject to change due to operational requirements.
SALARY: $42.91 to $52.21 per hour (Subject to employment status)
The nurse practitioner (NP) is a self-directed, advanced practice-prepared nurse who functions within a collaborative practice model. The NP demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge base in an Emergency Department Setting, exhibiting a high degree of clinical competence in caring for select patient groups with acute and specialized health needs. The NP scope of practice incorporates skills and knowledge from the disciplines of nursing and medicine. Working in collaboration with a physician or group of physicians, the NP manages, directs and provides comprehensive care for Emergency Patient population in an interdisciplinary team environment.
Nurse practitioners at Horizon Health Network are responsible for promoting and providing high quality care as clinical practitioners, consultants, educators, and researchers. Nurse practitioner competencies in New Brunswick can be categorized as:
- Health Assessment and diagnosis
- Health Management of acute/chronic disease(s)
- Health promotion and disease prevention
- Professional role and responsibilities
- Baccalaureate and/or Master's degree as nurse practitioner
- Currently registered in the province of New Brunswick as a nurse practitioner; in good standing with the Nurses' Association of New Brunswick
- Advanced clinical knowledge in primary health care in an Emergency Department Setting.
- 5 Years of Recent ED experience
- Working Knowledge of CTAS Guidelines
- Skills such as suturing, I&D, Pelvic examinations would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated contribution to the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and educational programs.
- Ability to analyze and utilize valid research findings in a "best-practice" clinical approach.
- Excellent attendance record
- Demonstrates team philosophy and values in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Exhibits self-confidence
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and GroupWise
- Demonstrates clear ability to express self verbally and in written form
- Demonstrates clear ability to produce quality, health documentation
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to evaluate practice, and report monthly on practice and program activities.
- Physically, intellectually and emotionally able to perform role.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver top performance in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English and spoken competence in French required.
As a clinical practitioner:
- NP provides advanced assessment and critical decision-making incorporating medical directives, the nursing process, standards of practice and the nursing code of ethical behavior.
- Performs a comprehensive health or symptom directed assessment and synthesizes data from multiple sources to make a diagnosis of a disease or disorder for patients within the Canadian Triage and Acuity Scale (CTAS) and NP Scope of Practice.
- Provides advanced clinical expertise to members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Incorporates an interdisciplinary approach to the assessment and treatment of patients, including patients returning for follow-up testing or treatment.
- Prescribes appropriate consultations and therapies consistent with the NP scope of practice.
- Acts as a clinical resource for team members, providing a specialized approach to patient care problems.
- Facilitates coordination and continuity of care, crossing organizational and multisectoral boundaries as appropriate.
- Competently identifies, prioritizes, and orders necessary diagnostic tests and procedures as per current NANB nurse practitioner schedules for ordering.
- Reviews laboratory reports as part of the Medical Team from patients previously registered and follow-up care if further interventions are required.
- Prescribes pharmacological and other therapeutic interventions as per current NANB nurse practitioner schedules for ordering.
- Accurately documents all pertinent patient data on patient health record, referral forms, in health information system, or as per other policies and processes of patient care decree.
- Evaluates health outcomes in collaboration with team.
- Directs referrals to appropriate professionals or services.
- Maintains knowledge for, and competently performs invasive or non-invasive procedures related to clinical practice.
As a consultant the nurse practitioner:
- Contributes to work redesign focusing on patient care, for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness of health services.
- Acts as a resource team member in the development of policy, procedure and /or programs related to specific patient populations.
- Participates in the development, monitoring, and evaluation of evidence-based protocols /guidelines/standards of care for specific patient populations, in collaboration with team members.
- Assesses patient population for need of specialty clinics, i.e., follow-up care for patients without family physicians. Works collaboratively with clinical and administrative teams to achieve innovative, efficient health services for patients with specific care needs.
As an educator the nurse practitioner:
- Facilitates the engagement of families in the process of informed decision-making about health care and lifestyle choices.
- Introduces health promotion initiatives for specific patients and patient groups presenting to ED; refers to appropriate community agencies as necessary.
- Provides a learning environment for patients and colleagues.
- Acts as a preceptor to developing nurse practitioners.
- Role models continuous learning
- Plans and participates in interdisciplinary team education presentations and discussions.
- Mentors colleagues through new clinical learning experiences.
As a researcher the nurse practitioner:
- Facilitates dissemination and utilization of current research
- Facilitates critical analysis of emerging research studies, and integrates as necessary into evidence-based practice.
- Participates in generation of research questions
- Actively participates in research studies
- Contributes to health professional knowledge through presentation of findings and/or through publication of results.
- Focuses research efforts toward research initiatives designed to evaluate patient care outcomes and quality of services for identified patient populations.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by August 19, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-34058-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.