Experienced Shipfitters / Platers / Shipwrights / Metal Fabricators / Ironworkers
Irving Shipbuilding in Multiple Locations
Halifax City, NS | Halifax Regional Municipality, NS | Halifax, NS
EXPERIENCED SHIPFITTERS / PLATERS / SHIPWRIGHTS / METAL FABRICATORS / IRONWORKERS
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business
Reporting to the Trades Director, the experienced Shipfitters / Platers / Shipwrights / Metal Fabricators / Ironworkers are responsible for the use of various tools and equipment in the fabrication, assembly and erection of metal parts for the construction of modular units utilized in the various stages of the building of a marine vessel.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking multiple permanent, full-time skilled tradespeople to be based in Halifax, N.S.
The rate of pay for these positions is $29.72 - 35.50 per hour, dependent on the number of hours/years of service completed at the time of hire, as per our current Collective Agreement.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of current experience in fabrication, assembly and fitting in a "new build" shipbuilding environment
- Shipbuilding experience is mandatory
- Completion of vocational, technical and/or equivalent training or experience
- Metal fabrication trade certification, or equivalent, is preferred
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms; stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and work in confined spaces, inclement weather and support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds. Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
- Areas of specialization: shipbuilding, structural metal or steel, plate work, pressure vessel
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align, and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints, and procedures
- Instruct and mentor apprentices
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive wage and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
For additional information please contact: Tracey MacCharles at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Please be advised that some positions have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.