Registered Nurse Class A Mental Health (Casual), CCSJ MHC REHAB
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-32728b External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: CCSJ MHC REHAB
POSTING TYPE: Casual
JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse Class A Mental Health
CLASSIFICATION: RNCA Registered Nurse Class A
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Casual-Day; Evening; Night; Rotating, Weekends, Statutory Holidays, Subject to change due to operational requirements.
SALARY: $31.23 to $39.57 per hour (Subject to employment status)
To participate in the planning, organizing, delivering and evaluation of nursing care in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team; so as to meet the individual needs of the patients within Psychiatry in accordance with the philosophy, values and mission of the Organization.
- Current registration as a practicing member of the Nurses Association of New Brunswick.
- Capable of performing duties of this position, including ability to work rotating 12 hour shifts, days, nights, holidays and weekends.
- Good previous work and attendance record is essential.
- Demonstrated adherence to legislation and Organizational confidentiality policy to ensure all patient, business, financial and employee information is accessed on a need to know basis.
- Successful completion of all compulsory programs, and adherence to annual renewal as a condition of continued employment.
- Adherence to all Policies and Procedures set forth by the organization and the unit.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Course OR willingness to obtain as soon as reasonably possible with continued recertification as deemed essential by the employer.
- Demonstrates initiative and good judgment.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English required
- 1 year direct psychiatric nursing experience.
- Demonstrated awareness of DSM V and Mental Health Act of New Brunswick.
- To be in possession of a Certificate in Mental Health Nursing or CNA certification, OR is willing to commence such studies within 2 years of hire to the position.
- Through the use of adopted standardized tools, utilizes the nursing process as an operational framework to systemically and logically assess, plan, implement, evaluate and document the care for individual patients.
- Ensures that patient care plans are complete and kept current.
- Engages in therapeutic relationships and helps guide the patient through behavioral, emotional and developmental change while affirming and promoting the patient's responsibility, participation and choices in recovery.
- Advocates on the patients' behalf, ensuring that the patients' needs and rights are met.
- Provides general health promotion, illness prevention information to patients and families/significant others as appropriate. Evaluates teaching outcomes and documents findings.
- Participates in the design and delivery of patient programs/groups/therapies.
- When necessary supervises and/or assists other health care providers in the delivery of patient care.
- Documents accurately and thoroughly all relevant patient information in the format adopted by the organization.
- Assumes responsibility for own nursing development by maintaining an awareness of current trends, treatment measures and concepts. Actively participates in planned programs and independently researches.
- Takes responsibility to maintain certification and competency required in the workplace (i.e. NVCI and Suicide Prevention training, as well as compulsory programs).
- Complies with the Code of Ethics of the nursing profession.
- Maintains standards of practice and professional behavior as determined by the practice setting, psychiatric nursing standards and by CNA and NANB.
- Demonstrates interest in the Addiction and Psychiatry units by attending staff meetings and participating in associated activities and projects as required.
- Contributes to the development of the nursing role by participating on professional committees as requested and by contributing to the development and evaluation of unit objectives, policies and standards of care.
- Assists in guiding, supervising and teaching ancillary staff, volunteers, students and new employees; participates in health preceptorship programs and orientation acting as a mentor and role model.
- Maintains a professional and respectful relationship with clients, families, co-workers and community.
- Encourages patient and family members' involvement in the delivery of care and assumes the role of patient advocate when necessary.
- Employs effective communication skills to achieve therapeutic relationships and utilizes appropriate conflict resolution measures.
- Develops goals in collaboration with the patient and family/significant other, and the interdisciplinary team.
- Collaborates with various community agencies for on-going patient consultation needs and for discharge planning.
- Maintains a professional demeanor at all times.
- Attends and participates in team meetings, patient care meetings and case conferences.
- Is knowledgeable regarding interdisciplinary documentation standards and charts all patient information in a timely and legible manner.
- Ensures all pertinent patient information is shared with applicable team members to assure quality care provision.
- Strictly adheres to organizational and patient confidentiality.
Safety/Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI):
- Maintains an awareness of ethical and legal implications in nursing practice.
- Demonstrates and understanding of potential risk factors associated with the mentally ill patient.
- Strictly follows policies and procedures as they relate to the safety and well being of patients, i.e. fall prevention, levels of supervision, etc…
- Participates in the development and evaluation of the unit's risk management and CQI activities; follows Incident Reporting mechanisms.
- Utilizes Non-Violence Crisis Intervention techniques as necessary to enhance patient and unit safety.
- Maintains a clean, tidy and safe work environment and consistently demonstrates a culture of safety for patients, self, public and colleagues.
SPECIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assumes role of in-charge nurse as requested.
- Works in other patient care areas as necessary.
- Willingness to participate in related and allied duties which may be assigned from time to time, as deemed necessary to organizational operations.
- Comprehensive orientation to all areas within Centracare Tertiary Care Center including: Rehabilitation;Psychogeriatric and Complex Behavior. As well,introduction to client programs in Recreational and Occupational Therapy;Psychology; Speech Language Pathology and Physiotherapy.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by August 1, 2018.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Please quote Competition # 2018-32728b-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.