Business Development Officer
Department Of Tourism, Heritage
Business Development Officer
(Pay Band 6)
The Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture is seeking an individual to join our Tourism Product Innovation Branch as a Business Development Officer.
The Tourism Product Innovation Branch is responsible for providing vision and leadership around product innovation to the New Brunswick tourism industry. This branch is focused on researching, analyzing and testing innovative product concepts as well as creating an environment for the private sector and other partners to expand. The Business Development Officer will play a key role in bringing a heightened level of entrepreneurship, business attraction and development and innovation to the tourism industry.
As a member of the Product Innovation, the successful candidate will be responsible for fostering an environment of entrepreneurship and business development in conjunction with the implementation of the department's product innovation strategy. The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Researching, analyzing and assessing opportunities to develop entrepreneurship in the tourism industry and to grow business development and investment;
- In the spirit of partnership, working actively with key influencers, provincial and federal governments and other tourism/economic development partners to support tourism development and investment;
- Engaging in supporting the development and evaluation of tourism products and explore opportunities for new and innovative products;
- Maintaining a high level of expertise and knowledge of industry best practices and trends;
- Connecting and referring clients to internal subject matter experts, government partners and other stakeholders to meet business development needs;
- Preparing internal reports, briefings, presentations and other documents as required;
- Working closely with provincial parks, planning group, tourism marketing and sales to determine the trends and understand visitor needs;
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance, developing capital estimate plans and budgets;
- Working with the product innovation officers to perform analysis on product concepts and ideas to determine the business case for moving to the next phase of product development.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, commerce or a related discipline and a minimum of six (6) years of related experience including four (4) years of experience in two of the following areas: product development, economic development, entrepreneurship, and financial analysis.
Written and spoken competence in English and French is required.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference will be given to candidates that demonstrate:
- Track record of business development and attraction;
- Project management experience;
- Experience in the tourism industry.
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application two or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies:
- Creative Thinking/Innovation;
- Analytical Thinking/Judgment;
- Effective Interactive Communication;
- Results Orientation;
- Relationship/Network Building;
- Organizational Awareness.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Project Management;
- Planning and Organizing Skills;
- Presentation Skills;
- Written Communication.
Résumés should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
SALARY: From $64,038 to $85,228 annually.
We encourage applicants to apply on-line, by email to email@example.com or by mail at the following address indicating competition number THC-18-20.
Department of Tourism, Heritage and Culture
Human Resource Services
Marysville Place, 4th floor
P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
This competition will remain open until the position is filled.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As per the Civil Service Act, candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!