Manager of Corporate Accounting
At Marine Atlantic, we do so much more than get people from point A to point B. Whether it's reunions, long-awaited trips home, or the start of a new adventure, we bring people together. We couldn't bring people together every day without our own dedicated employees. Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
Marine Atlantic is currently accepting applications for a Manager of Corporate Accounting to work with our Finance department at our office in Port aux Basques, NL.
The Company's finance and accounting group process all payroll, payables and receivables; generates and distributes performance reports; compiles required Federal government reports and controls the company's cash and financial instruments. The department also assists in preparing budgets, corporate plans, various analysis', and supports other departments with their financial and administrative needs.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Manager of Corporate Accounting is responsible for directing the overall activities relating to general accounting and financial reporting. The Manager of Corporate Accounting is also responsible for account reconciliations, month end/quarter end, and external reporting requirements such as the quarterly and annual financial statements for Marine Atlantic, pension plan, and standardized Government of Canada financial and Statistical reporting.
The Manager of Corporate Accounting also oversees all Treasury functions and is the main contact for internal and external auditors.
As a Manager of Corporate Accounting, you will also be responsible for:
- Producing and approving all job descriptions of the department
- Ensuring policies and procedures are adequate to ensure proper internal controls
- Coordinating the annual audit and the preparation of the annual financial statements for the annual report
- Ensuring department risks are reviewed regularly and proper risk management strategies are implemented once risks are identified
- Ensuring the strategic plan of the financial area of the department is in line with the overall corporate direction
- Monitoring the Company's cash position and managing the appropriations billing process
- Pension management - providing assistance to the Director of Finance who provides the financial governance oversight of the Plan
- Preparing and maintaining departmental budgets, reviewing monthly variances and taking corrective steps
- Acting as business owner of computerized financial management systems and coordinating the implementation and transition to a new system within area of responsibility
- Providing input and advice into the organization's annual and multi-year financial planning cycles
- Approving all wire payments over $250K through the online banking website
- Promoting a safe working environment; ensuring tool box meetings are conducted and Job Safety Analysis are developed, investigating incidents, addressing unsafe work practices and making sure that information is recorded in the tracking system
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
- Education and Experience
- A degree from a recognized university in Accounting or Commerce, and possession of a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- A minimum of five years demonstrated relevant work experience in a leadership role, including technical accounting experience involving the analysis and application of accounting standards. At least three of these years should be post professional accounting accreditation experience.
- A combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience in a related position.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and finance issues, financial reporting and accounting standards
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of different financial and analytical techniques
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex financial issues or problems and
- identify opportunities for improvement and efficiencies
- Ability to use specialized financial management systems and applications
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex information to individuals at all levels, internal and external to the organization
- Ability to manage own work plan while respecting all deadlines
- Ability to facilitate and/or coordinate projects
- Detail oriented, well organized and a demonstrated ability to function effectively with a high degree of interdependence and autonomy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, Power Point and Word, and a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Public Sector Accounting (PSA)
Why work for Marine Atlantic?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We are dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do I become part of the team?
If you have the ambition to make a difference and you meet the above requirements, please apply on line.
For your application to be considered, all questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department.