Engineering Technologist – Energy Coordinator
Engineering and Environmental Services
Job # P763
"Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain its reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play."
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for Engineering Technologist - Energy
This position reports directly to the Director of Municipal Facilities and works closely with the Director of Environmental Planning and Management and in collaboration with the Facilities Coordinator, other supervisors and technical staff.
This is specialized technical work in the field or office requiring considerable knowledge, expertise and responsibility in the area of energy management, design, construction and project management, and has experience with energy efficiency retrofits and renewable energy projects. The person in this position will work diligently towards improving the operations of the City's building systems through auditing, retro-commissioning and optimization through a uniform and standard procedures approach to building operations, as well as more efficient and economic control of energy costs.
Position requires a proven ability to complete a variety of complex technical assignments and manage multiple concurrent tasks and projects. Work may also involve training of building tenants, student employees or others in the workgroup, as required.
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- Successful completion of a recognized technical course in a field directly related to Energy Systems technology, Building Systems technology and/or Mechanical Engineering/Powers systems that is accredited by the New Brunswick Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists at the Technologist Level. Must be eligible to become a member and maintain membership in the Association as a Professional Technologist (P.Tech or CET)
- Minimum of four (4) years progressive work experience in an area related to Building Construction engineering, with specific experience and training relative to energy management in buildings, in energy efficiency retrofits and renewable energy projects, utility management, demand side management (DSM), including rate and procurement.
- Experience in project and construction management, with proven ability to meet deadlines.
- English is essential. Ability to function in both English and French would be considered an asset.
- Must have sound knowledge and working experience with HVAC, mechanical, electrical and automation systems related to buildings.
- Must have extensive computer knowledge, skills and experience in the operation of computers with emphasis on energy and project management software, engineering related software programs and MS Office administrative programs.
- A good working knowledge and proven experience with AutoCad and Building engineering software is inherent with this position, to compile drawings and files, and assist in the preparation and maintenance of a complete inventory of municipal facilities and assets.
- Sound knowledge of materials and methods used in building construction, ability to prepare building construction plans and specifications, and recognize deviations from such plans in the field construction process.
- Possesses the ability to recognize faulty construction or hazardous conditions created by deterioration.
- Be diplomatic and a good communicator, with well-developed interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Completes technical reports on various aspects of projects, annual programs and other municipal work such as preventative maintenance programs, operational procedures, building usage reports, etc.
- Possesses strong organizational and time management skills, and be capable of working without direct supervision, with proven ability to act with some degree of independence, initiative and judgment in completing set priorities and schedules.
- Persons in this position must have the ability to take on new tasks as technology progresses, and are expected to keep up to date with the technology, particularly in the use of building design and automation software, specifications, and codes.
- Ability to train and motivate staff and tenants within the scope of the position. Common sense, patience, good judgment and effective people skills are inherent with this position in order to work towards a 'win-win' solutions within the various city facilities.
- Attention to detail is very important for persons working in this position. Errors will cause inconvenience; delays in work schedules and additional costs will be incurred.
- Members of the New Brunswick Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists are bound by a Code of Ethics administered by this organization.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver's license.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIORS: Sustainability, diversity, creativity, engagement and leadership.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall. To obtain more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707.
CLOSING DATE: NOON - JUNE 21, 2018
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however,
only those scheduled for interviews will be contacted)