Department: Financial Services Unit
Reports To: Information Technology Manager
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Information Technology (IT) Manager, the Systems Administrator (SysAdmin) is responsible for the day-to-day support and troubleshooting of all in-house software and equipment (desktops, laptops, printers, etc.) of the Museum. The SysAdmin will perform project tasks as identified by the IT Manager. The SysAdmin is responsible for completing all necessary paperwork associated with documenting and maintaining the integrity of the IT infrastructure for the organization on behalf of the IT Manager. The SysAdmin will be results oriented and have the demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize workflow.
Essential Position Functions
- Performs the day-to-day hardware and software maintenance duties as required on any IT system across the organization.
- Troubleshoots and corrects hardware, software and network problems and/or concerns
- Performs maintenance and ensures the operation of all IT systems across the organization
- Ensure all daily and/or weekly tasks including backups are completed successfully
- Undertakes all project tasks as assigned by the IT Manager
- Performs other duties as required
- Prepare reports accurately and in a timely manner, as needed
- Develop user guides with procedures and process for end-users
- Provide IT information and support to other departments as needed by using knowledge of IT infrastructure of the organization
- Document and regularly update procedures and processes as required
- Manage multiple deliverables and deadlines appropriately
- Exercise independent thought and judgment over resolution of technical issues and/or problems
- Responsible for duties as assigned relating to internal controls including safe-guarding of department assets, reliability of the museum's IT infrastructure and compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Understands and mitigates key elements of the Museum's risk profile
- Reports risk issues to the IT Manager
Education, Knowledge & Experience
Skills and Qualifications - Required
- Diploma in Information Technology with an emphasis in Systems Management / Networking or related field of study or equivalent experience
- 2 years experience in a server-based environment or related field
- Very proficient in troubleshooting techniques
- Must have a thorough knowledge of both Windows & Linux System Administration
- Must have a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and related products
- Must have a thorough knowledge of PC hardware and software troubleshooting
- Proficient in networking - hardware and software
- Proven ability to develop procedures, process and implement effectively and efficiently
- Ability to plan, organize and manage time effectively
- Able to multitask effectively
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to be self-motivated, independent and effectively prioritize work flow
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision and to develop working relationships with all members of the organization creating a strong team environment
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 kgs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Skills and Qualifications - Desired
- The ability to communicate in both official languages, oral and written, is an asset.
- Customer Focus - knowledge and ability to provide high levels of service to both internal and external customers, leading to high customer satisfaction and established relationships. A customer-centric environment.
- Communication - knowledge of various communication methods, and the ability to present and receive information in the most appropriate manner.
- Problem Solving - knowledge of problem-solving and decision-making techniques, and the ability to generate solutions to problems and decide on a course of action.
- Adaptability - knowledge and ability to effectively manage ones' own behavior and positively influence the actions of others during times of change, stress or uncertainty.
- Integrity and Trust - ability to operate with a high degree of honesty and openness, such that respect and trust is earned by coworkers and customers
- Managing vision and purpose - communicates an inspiring, optimistic vision of the future in such a way that others are motivated to share in the vision
- Planning & Organizing - effectively manages resources (people, funding, material, support) and eliminates roadblocks to achieve goals
- Motivation - encourages others to do their best through empowerment, reward and recognition, delegation, and the creation of a positive work environment and strong teams
- Impact & Influence - able to assume leadership, even under challenging or difficult situations, and provide direction and impact the behaviour of others in a positive way.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Work is in an office environment and/or a server environment
- Will require long periods at a desk, reading lengthy documents, and time in front of a computer.
- Will require irregular hours (evenings, weekends)
- Be a part of a regular on call rotation.
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefit package.
If you are interested in this opportunity please send a resume and a cover letter to Mike MacMullin, IT Manager at email@example.com
Competition closes at 5 pm on June 22, 2018.