Produce Quality Control Inspector
Sobeys Inc. in Truro, NS
Requisition ID: 42044
Career Group: Corporate Careers
Job Category: Merchandising
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
Location: Debert RSC
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better. .
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We currently have an opportunity for a Produce Quality Control Inspector to join our Quality Control team based out of our Retail Support Centre in Debert, NS.
*Note: Must be available to work a rotating schedule that includes weekends
What you'll get to do in this fast paced role:
RSC Quality Control Analysts
- Reject and document product that does not meet specifications
- Verify weight, temperature, size, pressure test, refractometer test, package and pallet integrity of product
- Identify superior quality of product and communicate to Replenishment and Category Management teams
- Verify calibration of testing equipment
- Request government inspections and facilitate sampling process
- Inspect inbound product according to established Standard Operating Procedures and specifications which includes random sampling and defect identification
- Monitor inventory by completing daily cooler inspections; report inferior quality to appropriate team for recommended action
- Monitor RSC handling and storage procedures in conjunction with RSC Management (i.e. cold chain management and slotting)
- Inspect and ripen bananas and avocados
- Verify and issue credits for store quality claims
- Facilitate returns to vendors and complete documentation
What your resume will include and demonstrate to us:
- Experience as Retail Produce, produce grower/wholesaler or private produce Inspection Company or related experience
- General understanding of Food Safety Requirements
- Strong understanding of quality control functions
- Strong communications skills (both oral and written) couples with an ability to communicate with multiple areas of the business
- Proven experience working in a team setting
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing environment and workloads
- Ability to prioritize tasks and multitask while performing under time constraints
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Ability to lift up to 40lbs
- Availability to work Sunday shifts
- Powerjack and forklift operation certification
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you're the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
- Growing organization
- Competitive salary
- Profit Sharing Plan (based on company performance)
- Pension plan
- Flexible health and dental benefits plan (eligible employees)
- Ongoing Training & Development
- Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.